Logo

Water from the steering console

joe422

"Hello guys, let's see if

"Hello guys, let's see if anyone can help with this one... Sorry if some of this sounds silly, but this is my first "real" boat and a beater for learning the ropes of boating ownership.

When I get to 17+mph, I get water dripping (a lot) from under the steering console (1988 VIP Cuddy w/ OMC 4.3). A lot of water drips from the steering console, and I'm wondering, is the speedo meter running off water from the pitot on the transom? I always thought there would be a sender, and the speedo guage is electrical... however, my speedo does not work (currently relying on GPS only) and I did some maintenance on the gauge panel a month ago adding a battery meter.... so my question:

-Does water actually get all the way back to the speedo meter to give it signal? (which measn I should take a look at the speedo water feed line..right?)
-If not, then is it possible water is entering the steering cable housing and squirting water at the console when up to speed?

Currently I'm trying to fix a bug that is keeping my boat at 10mph... but sometimes it speeds up, and right around 17mph, I get water dripping at the steering console. Help!"

"pitot tube has come off your

"pitot tube has come off your speedometer- yes water pressure goes right to the dash from the pitot pickup at the transom. If you have a GPS, you can just flip the little pickup doohickey into the trailer position on the transom until you get a chance to fix it."

"Hi HyStat

doohickey ??????

"Hi HyStat

doohickey ???????????????????

lol.gif

Frank"

"That's what I though you

"That's what I though you ment.

Have a great day
wink.gif
"

Back