Logo

Winterizing a Mercury 115 inline

R

Rick Patton

I am new to boating so forgive

I am new to boating so forgive me. How do I winterize my motor will the water drain itself when it is in the upright position.Thankyou for any help you guys can give me.

"In the upright position it wi

"In the upright position it will drain itself.You may need to turn the flywheel by hand, one turn to drain the waterpump.Check lower unit oil to make sure there is no water at the bottom drain plug."

"Rick, Put some fuel stabilize

"Rick, Put some fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, idle the motor on the flushing device to get some stabilizer into the carbs. Now spray some fogging oil into the carbs until you get some good smoke and turn off the motor. Remove the flush device and let the water drain. Turn the flywheel 1/2 turn or so to get all the water out. Change the lower unit gear oil and pump some grease into the grease fittings."

If you live in a freezing clim

If you live in a freezing climate and are using the speedometer pickup built into the lower unit (as opposed to a separate pitot on the transom) then disconnect the speedo tube to make sure no water remains. Water trapped in the speedo pickup passage can freeze and crack the lower unit casting.

Back