Logo

Ballast Resistor

penn_yan_lover

"318LM - I've replaced an

"318LM - I've replaced an aging carb with the 1409, replaced the fuel pump and the the motor starts, sounds fine but then cuts out. Has anyone had an problem with the ballast resistor? I'm running out of things to try"

Sounds like the ballast resist

Sounds like the ballast resistor or the ECU.
Cheap to replace. $5 for the resistor and $15 for the ECU at the BIG discount stores. ($80 at a marine store)

"According to Chrysler's i

"According to Chrysler's info the ballast resistor is different from a automotive one. I haven't compared one side by side but thats what Chrysler said. On the ECU the 4 and 5 are interchangeable without any issues like Jeff mentioned, but I have never heard it is the same as a automotive unit ( I will try to do some checking on this )

Dave"

The 5 pin ECU uses both resist

The 5 pin ECU uses both resistors in the ballast resistor where the 4 pin uses only one of them; and it works the same. I'd have no problem using an automotive unit if I couldn't find a direct replacement.

Jeff

"Here's the info from Chry

"Here's the info from Chrysler's electronic repair manual.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">Ballast info
[url=""][b]Ballast.pdf[/b][/url] (24.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"Good read. Agreed that open,

"Good read. Agreed that open, non-potted automotive resistors are different and should NEVER be used in a marine environment.

Learn something new every day.

Thanks, David.

Jeff"

I don't think I have ever

I don't think I have ever seen a Mopar resistor (auto or marine) that wasn't potted.

"I seem to recall one on my ol

"I seem to recall one on my old '75 RV with a 360 that was not potted. Could be mistaken, though. My very good NAPA store guys matched up the marine resistor perfectly for me.

Jeff"

"Well the info is 34 years old

"Well the info is 34 years old and the new ones all might be potted now days, but honestly I have never looked at a automotive one. And all the new ones might be potted now days. If your purchasing one just double check.

Dave"

"I've run into a problem w

"I've run into a problem with water in my gas tanks. I've drained the tanks but I'm wondering if there is some way to be sure they are empty, or is there an additive that can used to help clean the tank. I've installed a water/fuel separator (Sierra) but is there something else I should do or try. Thanks"

You could add some Methyl Hydr

You could add some Methyl Hydrate to those fuel tanks.
That should clear up the water buyt ensure that you fill up with fuel prior to running your engine!!

Anybody try to go with a gener

Anybody try to go with a generic 12 volt coil and omit the ballast resistor? I was under the impression the coil was different from regular 12 v coils. After reading the ballast.pdf I think I am wrong.

"..."Anybody try to go wit

"..."Anybody try to go with a generic 12 volt coil and omit the ballast resistor? "

I haven't, but others have and say it works just fine. The ECU could care less.

Jeff"

Back