Logo

Trim Up not Working

S

Sam Brubard

"Hello all,

i have a 2004 2

"Hello all,

i have a 2004 20ft bayliner with a mercruiser 3.0 alpha one gen 2 sterndrive. Yesterday on the water the trim up and down worked perfectly, but then i went out later in the evening and the trim up would not work? The down still works and so does the trailer up button. Could it be a bad switch or somthing? i am confused to why the trim down and trailer up would work and not just the trim up? thanks for the help in advance"

Nothing happens. I hear no cli

Nothing happens. I hear no clicking at all.

It is the trim limit switch on

It is the trim limit switch on the outdrive.

Looking from the back of the boat it is the one on the left. It is a rotary on/off switch.

Either it went bad or a wire may have broken.

There should be 4 black wires comming from the transom to the motor area. 2 of them are the trim limit and 2 are the trim posotion sending.

The two that are trim limit should be going near the trim pump and can easily be disconnected. The wires that they plug into (blue) can be connected together and this will give you trim function back at the controll handle. BUT it will now raise the outdrive all the way up with just the rocker switch. Check to see if they may have come disconnected.

"Alpha's and Bravo's h

"Alpha's and Bravo's have two Trim Senders.

They are mounted on either side of the Gimbal Ring.
One sender is for the Trim Gauge and the other sender is for the Trim Limit.

The Trim Limit Switch is mounted on the port side and the Trim Position Switch is mounted on the starboard side.

The switches are prone to damage from water intrusion. Water enters the switch and ruins the contacts. The wires tend to soften and/or rot with age and water leaks into the switch through the wires.

This is why the new switches are sold with the new wires are already attached at the factory. Always replace the wires when replacing the switches.

Symptoms
The Trim Position Switch operates the Trim Gauge.
When the Trim Position Switch fails, the gauge usually pegs to "full up".

The Trim Limit Switch prevents the driver from 'over-trimming" the outdrive while under way.
It is an important limiting feature which prevents damage to the drive and/or loss of control of the vessel.
Trimming the drive unit up too high while the boat is running can cause serious damage and/or injury.
When this switch fails, the TRIM BUTTON does not work. Only the TRAILER BUTTON will work.

When one switch fails, you will end up replacing both switches. This is because the switches are sold in sets of two. Both the Trim Limit and the Trim Sender switches are sold together as a pair.

Replacing the switches requires removal of the drive and bell housing.
These are the same procedures for replacing the Ujoint Bellows."

Do i have to take off the ster

Do i have to take off the sterdrive to replace the switches or is there any way around it? Thanks.

"Read this attachment

<cent

"Read this attachment

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/attachment_icon.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"">how the trim works
[url=""][b]How the trim.docx[/b][/url] (12.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

Back