Logo

Tohatsu 30 hp sudden stop

It was deffinitly stainless. I

It was deffinitly stainless. I remember it before I misplaced it. I know a little bit about metal and know there are big differences in stainless. Some is hard as a rock and another is like butter. Thats why I would like actual shear pin material. It is alloyed be a certain hardness to shear if needed. If I just pick any old stainless to make a pin out of it may be tough as nails. That could prove a disaster.

yrah your right but in a pinch

yrah your right but in a pinch you might have to i dont know if tohatsu still has then or not i donthave a parts book on your motor may be tohatsu guru can help on this i dont worry about hitting stuff with my stuff im usaully in deep water

Not available for years and ye

Not available for years and years and years and years. Find a SS bolt that fits and cut off the head. No one knows what the hardness was of the OEM pin so it's a crap shoot.

im what esle can you do id use

im what esle can you do id use stainless steel rod stock instead of a bolt u you get more shear pin per dollar if your that worried about it try to get different alloys of rod and run the softest one that will work on my five i use brass shear pins and being it has pull n go technology its fine i make all my pins out of rod stock except the stainless one that i use on the shift motors 3.5b they will bend a brass ones over time

"I can forget brass. Again, It

"I can forget brass. Again, It munches a brass home made pin in about 5-10 seconds of forward running. I could always take and oversize stainless pin from a different brand motor and turn it down to size the best I can. I use a drill motor and a bench grinder for a make shift lathe. Been here done this."

Back