Logo

Injection timming TAMD41 B

jolly_r

I have a TAMD41 B. The manual

I have a TAMD41 B. The manual says to turn the crank until it is on the compression stroke on #1 cyl and turn until the flywheel fixture tool drops in the flywheel and measure the stroke in the middle of the fuel pump with a dial indicator. No problem with that but I have an engine that does not have the flywheel port for the Volvo tool. How do you time an engine without the flywheel port?

If you have a 41 you have a to

If you have a 41 you have a tool port. If you have a 40 series the flywheel is marked with degrees of rotation under an oval cover on top of flywheel housing starter side.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for your response. I do see an oval cover on the flywheel housing. I need to remove a crankcase breather to get to it.

This boat is a 1991 model with twin engines that are supposed to be:
TAMD41 B
ser#2204130297 & 2204130302
Product#868189 & 868189
It has the oval cover and no tool port. Is the procedure and value on the dial indicator the same as the TAMD41 with the tool port. Of course I guess the stopping point would have to be manualy stopped at "TDC" or some advanced degree since we are lacking the tool port? Do we know what that stopping point should be?

41B only has the port not timi

41B only has the port not timing marks. Port is located under manifold on front of flywheel housing close to top near block. It is next to some pipes from turbo and hard to spot.

"This engine that I want to ti

"This engine that I want to time has the oval cover and no tool port. I bought an AD41P-A for parts and and it has the tool port, so I am familiar with the tool port. The boat was sold to me under the pretense of these being the engines with the numbers described above. This info was taken off of the original warranty cards, which I have, and they are also on the survey. I have not verified the block. Are there other diferences between the two. Maybe I was sold a bill of goods? I need to pursue that! I may be short about 130 horses. In the mean time do you know how to time the engine with the oval cover?"

There is a tag behind injectio

There is a tag behind injection pump on block that will have model on it. Injectors on 41 are on manifold side and injectors on 40 are on injection pump side. This is interesting.

"The injectors are identical t

"The injectors are identical to the known AD41P-A, that I have, which is on the exhaust manifold side. I won't be able to check numbers until this evening or tomorrow. I don't think these engines have been changed out."

Back