Logo

M360 white smoke from exhaust

"I have a 1977 Chrysler 360 th

"I have a 1977 Chrysler 360 that begins to have a little white smoke out of the the stbd exhaust after running at idle for about 10 minutes and then doesn't stop smoking. The engine is in a project boat so I can't take her out so I don't know what it'll do under load and higher rpm's. It is raw water cooled and doesn't seem to be missing or idling rough. Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be causing this? I know that it's probably water causing it (white smoke) but if water were getting onto a piston, I would assume that it wouldn't run so well at idle.

David"

"The white smoke is steam. Li

"The white smoke is steam. Likely the starboard head gasket is weeping after she warms up. Check the spark plugs. If you have one or two on the starboard side that look significantly cleaner than the other plugs, water is getting in. ...BTW, up to a certain percentage mix, water will not cause misfiring or poor idle. Some aircraft engines in WW2 were water injected to boost performance."

You might also have flow restr

You might also have flow restriction(s) in hte risers due to rust/ scale.

Jeff

Could be your raw water pump i

Could be your raw water pump impeller. Mine steamed too. I took it out and it looked perfect until I flexed the vanes and found several were cracked. Pump capacity was greatly reduced.

"I tend to agree with Jeff, T

"I tend to agree with Jeff, That smoke is steam caused by the water in your starboard exhaust manifold and risers getting to the boiling point due to clogged up risers /elbow and or manifold. Time to replace them before they rot out and leak water back into your cylinders."

Is there a way to test the ris

Is there a way to test the risers/elbow and manifold to determine if this is the problem or just replace? I forgot to mention in my original post that she steams while connected to fresh water flush so that eliminates the possible problem with the impeller. I've got questions about how to properly flush as well but will start a new post for that.

"You would have to remove them

"You would have to remove them and bring them to a radiator shop to get boiled out and inspected, but if they are 5yrs or older, you probably would have to replace them. If thats the case, replace the manifolds and risers on each side. I know it sounds expensive but it will save you bigger problems down the road should you get water in the cylinders due to a rotted out part. I did mine this season for about 700$"

Back