Logo

1986 90hp v4 johnson no spark

penta_1

this motor sat for the summer

this motor sat for the summer and ran before being put into storage now i have no spark on any cylinders i haved played with all the conections and trided disconnecting the red plug pulled out the spark plugs and cranked with no change ... does any 1 no how a one wire coil works ?

"yep...we can.....if u r crank

"yep...we can.....if u r cranking,..w/the red plug disconnected,.....the most common prb,is a bad pwr pack...make sure,u have no voltage on blk/yell wire,at pack,..if u do,repl ign sw,AND pwr pack."

i have 2 spark tester one lite

i have 2 spark tester one lite and an open gap stile why would i have to replace both ign swtch and power pack does one go bad and fry the other ?

"if u have voltage,on blk/yell

"if u have voltage,on blk/yell wire w/key on or off,...u have a volt leak/bad ign sw,and can kill the new pack."

"Sorry if interrupting.
That

"Sorry if interrupting.
That engine has 2 power packs, and not likely both goes bad at the same time. More likely a common problem like stator/trigger or short in the stop-circuit.
Do the following:
-Disconnect the big red plug on engine.
-Make a 5-10cm (2-5") cable -one end at the small stud at starter rely where the red/yellow is connected.
Take out all plugs, and attach the spark tester. Be sure NO spark may jump from any plug-lead to anywhere!!!!
-Take the other end of the short cable on the solenoid to the big stud where the battery cable comes in. Engine should crank - and hopefully spark. Test all cylinders, not only one.
Report back after test."

I just checked for the voltage

I just checked for the voltage on the black and yellow wire and there was none with ign swtch on or off this is the wire in the power pack connectors as for the cranking test I have no spark with the red plug disconnected and spark plugs out on all 4 coils the engine turn over rapidly the batery is good and all the connectors are in good shape does any one have a diagram for the ignition system or can lead me to the next step

"Paul.... (1986 90hp Johns

"Paul.... (1986 90hp Johnson) Please put a period at the end of your sentences. As it stands, it's difficult to figure where one stops and the next one begins which is somewhat confusing.

Disconnect each (2) of the small two wire plugs that supply power to the powerpack. This would be the Brown/White and the Brown/Black on the starboard bank, and the Brown and the Brown/Yellow on the port bank.

Using a ohm meter, the reading between either of those two wires should be 560 ohms +/- 25 ohms, that is a reading between 535 ohms and 585 ohms. What reading you you receive?

Also inspect the stator visually to see if it is cracked or leaking a substance from within it, dripping down on the powerhead area. If this condition exists, replace it regardless of whatever reading you obtain.

From what you've said so far, I'm under the opinion that the engine is being tested for spark with all of the spark plugs removed and that the engine is cranking over at least 300 rpms which is needed for the stator to energize the powerpack (ignition). Let us know what you find.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back