Logo

1979 OMC Steering removal

madfish

My steering on my 1979 OMC 800

My steering on my 1979 OMC 800 2000 Taira outdrive is hard to steer. How do you remove the steering bracket? Do I have to remove the engine first (I hope not)? Has the true steering. The steering bracket with cable and shaft is right behind the engine with close quarters.

"Assuming you do not have powe

"Assuming you do not have power steering, you have to remove the outdrive and slide the shaft out the rear of the intermediate once the drum screw is out. But I wouldn't just go taking that off because it's hard to steer - I'd diagnose it first. Grease the swivel bearing in the outdrive, grease the steer shaft. etc...
Did it get gradually stiffer - or just all of the sudden hard to steer?"

"The steering got stuck all of

"The steering got stuck all of the sudden. Had to use a hammer to get it loosen. Did the grease thing, no good. It turns but hard. Took the outside gear off and the bushing looks bad or torn. Took the only screw I could find out, about 3 inches long. I don't see any other item to undo except the bolt that holds the steering bracket on the intermediate housing. Try to tap the shaft out but it will not move (out toward the sterndrive).
follow links for pics.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/mad3654/Boat%20Work/steering.jpg"

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/mad3654/Boat%20Work/saft.jpg""

was the steering still tight a

was the steering still tight after the drive was removed? That screw in the first pic is the only screw that needed to come out when I did mine as I recall.

The plastic cap is still on the grease fitting in the first pic. looks like you got grease everywhere but in the grease fitting.

The grease fitting in the second pic isn't greasy either....

"yes, the steering is still ti

"yes, the steering is still tight with the outdrive off. You can see in one pick that the rubber bushing is damaged. If I take the screw out I sould be able to pull or tap the shaft out. I tryed and it did not move. Is there a slot on the shaft that that screw goes in to to keep the shaft in?
I did put grease in each fitting and replaced the cap on the inboard one. Don't have a cover for the outside one."

yes there is a hole through th

yes there is a hole through the shaft that the screw goes through. Will have to get some good penetrating oil into the bushings and let it sit for a bit. Put the gear back on and try a heel bar against the gear to draw the shaft out.

"Thanks for the help HY Stat.

"Thanks for the help HY Stat. Used a heel bar and it came right out. I wanted to make sure I wasent going to screw something up. Thanks again.
happy.gif
"

later on when you put that scr

later on when you put that screw back in the drum - be careful not to overtighten it - it is just threading into the aluminum drum and can strip out easy -not an easy fix if that happens

Back