Logo

Honda 225 loss of RPMbs and power

truenorth

"We run a 33' Worldcat and

"We run a 33' Worldcat and have been losing power and RPM's on one of our engines. We have run the boat for 4 seasons now and have had the problem for 2 of the 4. We had a Honda mechanic look at this problem several times but is unable to come up with anything.

2 years ago I noticed that I had to start running the starboard throttle further forward to ge the same rpms as the port. It has gotten to the point where I have to run the stbd throttle wide open to get it to run at cruise of 4000 rpms. I tried running the boat on just the port engine (good one) and I got 17 knots (it roared like a healhy engine) Then I just ran the stbd engine and only got 13 knots and it sounded much weaker. No sputtering or hard starting, just feels week and am losing top end RPM's.

What could be causing this engine to get weaker? What tests can I perform before we take it to someone?

Thanks for your help.

Jason"

"We have had similar probs wit

"We have had similar probs with two BF130A Hondas and the mechanics have been not much help, we found that our high pressure filters before the injectors were badly blocked, this helped, the main problem was discovered when we free revved the engines when out of the water, they spat out through the exhaust a carbon and salt gravel sized stuff and then the problem stopped for a couple of months, then started again, we gave the engine some serious revs again out of gear and out csme the stuff again. We are trying to work how to clean the exhaust system but apart from a half hour run with the leg in a whellie bin of fresh water to break down the salt the only other upption will be to have a mechanic remove the exhaust system and give it a clean,, it isnt a job we can manage ourselves. Hope this helps..
Regards
Mark"

Back