Logo

Edelbrock vs Carter AFB Results

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
"I apologize to all that it to

"I apologize to all that it took so long to get this done. (Long story.) Finally removed a very good running CArter AFB and replaced it with a rebuilt Edlebrock 1409. And the results are...terrific! The infamous AFB bog is gone, and the new carb gets 1/2 GPH better gas mileage at all cruising speeds! That's a solid improvement that, over a year of operation, will easily pay for a new Edlebrock.

Jeff"

"Hey Jeff, I got my new Edelbr

"Hey Jeff, I got my new Edelbrocks on as well, and yes it makes a big difference. I saved about $75.00 in fuel last trip, thanks again in your advise on which carbs to get.

Gerald."

"Thanks for the update Jeff!

"Thanks for the update Jeff! I have no means of efficiency comparison with my new (last year) Edelbrock, but the engine sounds a lot smoother. Idle is steady with no flat spots up through the RPM curve. My top end RPM's are low but I think that's a prop problem.

Wonder what the difference is between the two carbs?"

"..."Wonder what the diffe

"..."Wonder what the difference is between the two carbs?"

Modern technology. They LOOK very similar, but... The backfiring when you whack the throttle is gone as well, thank heavens! I've had the motors stall at most inappropriate times thanks to that.

Jeff

PS: Note that this new Edelbrock replaced a very GOOD running Carter AFB, not a clunker."

"Carters, while good carbs &#4

"Carters, while good carbs (I had one on a very high performance car I once owned) are a commodity carb. Edelbrock, as an aftermarket only premium carb, has always had a rep as a premium high performance carb."

"Lots of damn good muscle cars

"Lots of damn good muscle cars came with Carter AFBs--Chevy 409s, Pontiac 421s, Hemis, etc--but that was then. Modern technology has obsoleted them, as proven by my little comparison.

Jeff"

"I have a 1973 318 with what

"I have a 1973 318 with what looks to be the original carb. The thing runs great, but after reading this thread, I am hoping Santa might bring me one of these edelbrocks. Does the 1409 directly replace the old one? Does the existing throttle cable work with it, and does the pcv valve and breather hoses connect?"

"..."Does the 1409 directl

"..."Does the 1409 directly replace the old one? Does the existing throttle cable work with it, and does the PCV valve and breather hoses connect?"

Not exactly. (Sounds like a Hertz commercial!) THe bolt pattern is the same, the throttle linkage is identical, but you need to drill and tap for the PCV hose fitting. (Use an 1/8 inch NPT tap and get an 1/8 NPT by 3/8 hose barb fitting.)

Then there's the electric choke: You need to find a switched on with the ignition, 12 volt power source to run it.

Finally, the flame arrestor is larger. Being a legendary cheapskate, I ground the hole in mine larger to fit. IF you do this as well, the breather on your arrestor will not change. Oh, and the carb has a fitting on it for that third hose coming off later fuel pumps.

Jeff"

"Jeff, can you explain more re

"Jeff, can you explain more regarding the flame arrestor. I am starting to install the elde 1409 on my 1978 318. I noticed on my old carb that the breather hose tapped into the top of the carb cover. The new cover, I assume is called the flame arrestor, does not have a hole in it. What is the best thing to do."

"That breather hose is importa

"That breather hose is important. You'll have to make up something for a new arrestor, or grind the hole in the old one larger so it fits the Edelbrock.

Jeff"

"Wondering why you cant use a

"Wondering why you cant use a 1406 carb it aready has that hole,can the 1409 be used on the 318 and 360 my engines say 270 would that be a 318 or 360 just got it and want to do major tune up carbs need rebuilt but will just replace them.."

"Russell,
If the 1406 is an a

"Russell,
If the 1406 is an automotive carb it will be dangerous to use. The marine carbs, 1409 and 1410 models are designed to flood internally should it leak. An auto carb can flood externally which would be explosive on a boat.
Eddie"

just ordered two 1409s thanks

just ordered two 1409s thanks new to marine inboards rebuilt diesels and auto engines these next more crys for help soon..

Back