Logo

Motor stalls at high speed

P

Postman

"My dad passed away in Februar

"My dad passed away in February and I've used his boat a couple times this summer. It has a 1983 or 1984 25 horse Mercury (tiller) with low hours. He kept it in great shape and it ran great the last time I used it, but this time it quit on me whenever I got it up to full throttle. It seemed to be starving for gas. It ran perfect at low speeds. I am new to outboard motors. Any ideas?"

"if it sat for a while the hig

"if it sat for a while the high speed jet in the carb might be clogged, remove carb and clean. You can try pumping the fuel bulb while its acting up, if it helps it might need a fuel pump kit. Be sure tank vent is open and working"

Thanks for the advice. I will

Thanks for the advice. I will check into that tonight. It did help when I was having the problems if I pumped the fuel bulb once in a while. It is possible that the vent is not open/working....as I said I'm new to this.

JB-

Thanks again for the ad

JB-

Thanks again for the advice. My problem was the vent on the gas tank...it was not open. That was an easy and cheap fix. I had the boat out yesterday and it ran great.

Back