Logo

1408430 78 140 Rude

kiwi_dave

Contributing Member
"Gidday folks
After 12 month

"Gidday folks
After 12 months of part time boating (most of the time in the driveway),after overheating, non starting, no planing,no spark, finally got my boat on the water and its a lil beauty !!!( Thanks Largely to this forum) , in saying that im hearing a rattle comming from the lower unit, sounds like one of the coweling clips is rattling around loose, real tinny rattle. Its had the rattle as long as ive had the motor, without any probs. checked foot oil,ok just a wee bit of browny oil 1/4 cup otherwise fine. doesnt look like any leaks. Service guy says noise is nothing to worry about, but for piece of mind, does anyone have any ideas. Thanks again in advance"

"Due to the driveshaft being a

"Due to the driveshaft being an ideal transmitting device, that rattle could be coming from anywhere.

Have you used a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the sound? If not do so.

A laymans stethoscope would be a ear plug in one ear, and the handle of a long bladed screwdriver in the other ear. Placing the blade of that screwdriver on any portion of the engine (when running of course) will have the noise the loudest at the origin of the noise.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Thanks Joe,
Geez ! that sou

"Thanks Joe,
Geez ! that sounds Ominous ??!!!
Often done it on a car, but will give it a go on the Rude this arvo. thought I had the old girl beat..... but as usual, she who floats laughs last and loudest !. Ill let you know if I can narrow a location down. thanks again,"

Back