Logo

Drain plugs for a Merc 50 L 2000 Mercrusier and winterization

"Hello all, checked out my eng

"Hello all, checked out my engine in my 2000 Sea Ray 5.0L MCM Mercrusier with a carb and a Alpha one Gen II stern drive.
My question is how many drain plugs should there be to winterize the boat and drain out the fluids. I have the manuals but they are not very specific and I want to be certain.

I found two on the port and two on the starboard side of the engine (I assume the manifold and engine blocks?) and one more in the front off the water circulating pump hose. Is that it? Are there any hiding? I do not want to make a mistake in winterizing.

I also like to know how critical is it to fog the cylinders thru the spark plugs? Access on the starboard side is a joke and I am concerned about removing them to do the fogging. Bad design with very very limited access. It is possible and can be done if necessary. Opinions?

Thanks Dirty Dawg"

"Ike;
Generally you would fog

"Ike;
Generally you would fog thru the carb. Follow the instructions on the can of Storage Seal. They are pretty good.

There are usually 2 plugs per side like you have noticed. The lower ones are the block drains and the upper ones are the manifolds and risers.

then depending on the particular model and vintage, there may be one on the bottom of the fat hose that feeds the starboard side of the circulation pump, one down low on the port side on the bottom of the water inlet hose that comes up the front side of the engine to the stat housing, and there may be one just on that same hose in behind the serpentine belt idler, top front port side.

That should be it, BUT LOOK AROUND CAREFULLY WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND MIRROR!
If they are the blue plastic plugs they are quite easy to spot.

When you reinstall then, do not overtighten, or they will crack and break. Just snug them up gently by hand.

Rod"

"Rod thanks for the response!!

"Rod thanks for the response!! Yep for simplicity I left out fogging thru the carb, but I have also read that in addition you should remove the spark plugs and fog into the cylinder heads as well. Trying to determine how critical that is.

With regarding to the drain plugs found the two on each side and the one off the circulation pump hose. I will look for the others you described. Tough to see under there, with limited access, especially to the starboard side of the engine. Thanks again Dirty Dawg"

"I would not get too worked up

"I would not get too worked up about fogging thru the plugs, unless you are changing or gapping the plugs anyway. Then by all means.
I always fog thru the carb or throttle body.

Just my thoughts, other opinions may vary.

Rod"

Back