Logo

43 repower

ejbtech1

Regular Contributor
"I have access to a 4.3 marine

"I have access to a 4.3 marine engine at my shop.
Currently running a 120B with a 270 leg on my boat.
Anyone know if the 270 is compatible with the 4.3?(stupid question, I know) But not sure.
I know I will need mounts in the bilge, but just wondering about the leg....."

"Eric, this has been discussed

"Eric, this has been discussed many times before. You will need a new transom shield, Y-pipe, bellhousing, exhaust manifolds, and a new set of gears for the 270 (1.61:1 instead of 2.15:1). So if you want to end like Fannie and Freddie, just go for it...
biggrin.gif
"

"If you can get the whole pack

"If you can get the whole package together (engine, mountings, manifolds, bellhousing, Y-pipe, transom shield, outdrive, etc) for a good price, then the upgrade makes sense. But if you have to buy individual parts, it will become cost prohibitive. Unfortunately, I know this first hand."

"I have access to all engine p

"I have access to all engine parts, what do the gears cost? Would it be wiser to find a different outdrive?(used)"

"I was faced with a similar ch

"I was faced with a similar choice last year. I did a re-engine on my boat two seasons ago. The existing drive (a 250) had the wrong gears in it. I looked at the gear set price and poured over the shop manual for the procedure. In the end I found a 280 drive a few hours drive away for $600 (including the extended intermediate housing and transom shield) . It had the correct ratio although the transom shield was not from a 280.
It had a siezed yoke bearing, i,e, the one that the drive pivots on when you steer. Things were pretty gummed up and corroded. All in all parts ran about $150 to 200 as I recall. And when all was said and done, the labor to do that repair was less labor than swapping the gear set. My only error was in not replacing the seal on the shifter mechanism (which failed late in the season) while I was doing the pivot. It's inexpensive and easy to replace although getting everything clean enough after you take it apart is time consuming. I ended up replacing that seal this spring. A brass brush and a Dremel tool came in handy."

Back