Logo

1962 Sea King Five

62seaking5

Im looking for info on this mo

Im looking for info on this motor. GG18736D what plugs does it use? and does anyone have a service manual/parts manual pdf for it?
How do you remove the lower unit to replace impeller?

"It uses J6-J (replaced by

"It uses J6-J (replaced by J6-C spark plugs) gapped at .030.
The powerhead needs to be removed to disconnect the shift linkage on your motor.
There is a pretty good walk through at http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Remove%20Lower%20Unit%20and%20 Replace%20Impeller%20Water%20Pump.htm

That is for a slightly older model, but should be the same. I do have a manual here, but it is generic and doesn't go into a whole lot of detail. If you like, you can click on my name to get my email address and let me know.

Good luck."

"No I don't have the part

"No I don't have the part number, and don't know about the gasket. I have a 1955 Viking (same as SeaKing, but made for Eatons Canada instead of Montgomery Wards) that has a dead impeller. I'm probably going to just try replacing the impeller anyways and hope that the gasket doesn't crumble. The motor was free, and impellers are cheap. The other option for me is to let a perfectly good running motor sit in my shed unused for the next 30-40 years and I don't want that to happen."

"Good job.
Did you end up cha

"Good job.
Did you end up changing the impeller? If so, did you replace the base gasket, or just leave it? I'm kinda curious since I still need to change the impeller on my old Viking."

Awesome. It's nice to see

Awesome. It's nice to see an older motor getting another lease on life.
Was the kit for a Johnson/Evinrude? I'm wondering if the base kit for a JohnnyRude fit your Seaking.

"Yes gasket was for johnnyrude

"Yes gasket was for johnnyrude, there is 3 diff ones used so I emailed a pic of it to make sure I got the right 1."

Back