Logo

Mercury 59 HP 4 Stroke Flooding out

judyjht

I hope someone has a little in

I hope someone has a little input on this: All of a sudden I'm having trouble starting my outboard. It will start but not as quickly as before. A few days ago I could get it up to 20 mph. But when I would give it more gas it would act like it was flooding out. Yesterday I could only get it up to 10 mph and the same would happen when I gave it more throttle. It would almost quit. I changed the plugs and changed the fuel filter. That didn't help. I have been told that it sounds like a carburetor problem. The mechanic said he's getting the same report from 99% of the people coming in. His expectation is that the carburetor needs rebuilding; $600-700? That hurts. The motor is 2001. He said the ethenol (sp)in gas today is creating the problem most of the time. The boat did sit for a month or more twice this summer. I did have some gas in the tank at the time. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Has it required rebuilding of the carburetor?
Any input is appreciated.

sounds like a stuck float to c

sounds like a stuck float to check press primer bulb with cold engine see if fuel comes out of one of the carbs

"Judith, that is actually quit

"Judith, that is actually quite a common problem with ethanol gas. It can be alieviated to a great extent by running fuel stablizer in the gas "all the time" and if the gas sits for two weeks (or is going to sit), dump it in the car and use fresh with the boat.

4 strokes are way more "touchy" about maintenance than an old 2 stroke is. In addition to treating the gas, get out your owners manual and follow the maintenance schedule religiously or your 7 year old motor will quickly reserve itself a place in the scrap heap..."

"Ya, embrace them with a 2 ton

"Ya, embrace them with a 2 ton press and just "slightly" speed up the process of turning them into scrap.

The place for a 4 stroke is at the front of the tow vehicle - the "snot kicking" 2 stroke belongs at the back
"

"I am picking up a JOHNSUKI 20

"I am picking up a JOHNSUKI 2003 --140HP, smashed gearcase and internals for the gearcase not damaged. Cost $500.00 ---this means they are not that popular with repair shops/ dealers."

"Yes, I think outboards are no

"Yes, I think outboards are now also entering the disposable age - at least as far as the attitude towards them goes....

I get out to just about every boat show within a couple hundred miles each season and listen to the salesman rant up and down about how great 4 strokes are - better gas mileage, quiet, blah blah blah - but they never mention word one about maintenance or repairs and how costly they can be - and more importantly, about how vigalent the owner needs to be taking care of them.

And like you elude to, when they do come back the pitch changes to "it will cost so much to work on why don't you just buy a "new" one"

Now that the 4 strokes have been popular for a few years you will probably be able to latch onto numerous deals such as the one you just grabbed up - the "scrap" piles are bound to really start to grow over the next little while..."

I know I have an EVISUKI---50H

I know I have an EVISUKI---50HP ---hit a rock---damaged gearcase and engine will not run properly now. --Deemed not worth repairing by a dealer---dealer has another identical motor --same problem.

"Yes, and at least at present

"Yes, and at least at present there isn't a "stockpile" of parts at recyclers like there is for 2 strokes. But just give it a few years and I'm sure there will more an ample supply as more and more of these 4 strokes hit the junk pile.

I just can't really imagine I will see the day when a 40 year old 4 stroke is hangin' off the back of a boat the way you see 60's models Mercs/OMC's still running fine today. I don't believe many will take the time or go the expense of replacing valves, cams etc etc as they wear out.

But who knows, anything is possible..."

Back