Logo

Water in fuel F225

barnzy

"I have twin 04 F225 4 strokes

"I have twin 04 F225 4 strokes with 500 hrs, last monday did a full days trolling and ran 20 mins back to dock without missing a beat. Sat morning went to go out for a dive. Warmed up engines for 5 mins then went to move off dock and one engine ran rough then died. Checked fuel inline 10 micron filter, was almost full of water after almost 100hrs, was also almost an inch of water in the filter on the engine. Cleaned engine filter and replaced 10 micron filter, now idles fine for 3-4 minutes then seems to starve of fuel and cuts out. Where should I start next? VST? Injectors, fuel pump.

Note I live in a Pacific country with no Yammie techs and i have limited mechanical experience but have a very skilled mechanic brother in law visiting at the moment. Just thought id check here first before working our way through the next options."

"Replaced all filters, filled

"Replaced all filters, filled all new filters and used bulb to get pressure through system. Engine turning over but wouldnt start. High pressure pump is making a low speed quieter sound compared to the twin engines high pressure pump which is running fine.

Tried VST drain was a trace of water come out, total of a quarter of a teaspoon of water came out with approx a tablespoon of fuel. That was all that came out of the VST."

"Ran out of light to proceed f

"Ran out of light to proceed further last night, can the VST be flushed in place or do you need to take off and disassemble completely? Does the VST need to be pressurized after draining or will the HP pump do this as long as the low pressure pump is supplying gas?"

When I drained the VST should

When I drained the VST should there have been more fuel come out than about one tablespoon?

"Thanks for all your help Just

"Thanks for all your help Just in Time, greatly appreciated, ended up testing the low pressure pump prior to taking out the VST which with my limited skills seemed a bit daunting,swapped the same pump from the second engine over and ran perfectly starting first time, put the faulty pump on the other engine and did exactly the same thing. Have ordered a new pump from New Zealand so hopefully will be the end of this job.

Yous help narrowing things down was a big help.

Regards

Richard"

"Just-In -Time, unfortunately

"Just-In -Time, unfortunately im back again, replaced low pressure pump in November when it finally arrived and it improved things for while, pump had died completely by that time.

After that I took the VST off and sure enough water had obviously got through to there as the entire inside of the VST was corroding as was the exterior casing of the high pressure pump. The fuel strainer filter at the base of the high pressure pump was almost completely blocked with rust and corrosion particles, as was the base of the VST where the drain is, hence very little fuel coming through when I originally checked the VST and asked you if more than a tablespoon of fuel should come out.

Replaced the filter, cleaned out the inside of the VST of corrosion and casing of the high pressure pump knowing that I would have to replace these as they would continue to corrode. Engine ran fine first time out to check on things for about 5 minutes then the high pressure pump died and 20 amp fuse blew.

I order a new VST casing (top and bottom) and high pressure pump which were delivered to NZ in January and have just got back to install them. The engine is turning over but not starting. Any ideas why not?

Regards

Richard"

If your vst was as bad as you

If your vst was as bad as you describe i would start by flow testing your injectors if you cant pull your rail of and swap injectors with known good ones from the other motor

"Thats what I guessed may be t

"Thats what I guessed may be the answer, will have to track down someone with a pressure guage, not easy on and island in the pacific! Then I guess its looking at the injectors, might have to look at bringing in a Yamaha tech from NZ if it gets more complicated. At least need to diagnose as close as possible what the next problem is so they can arrange any parts if required. Most parts (gaskets, pumps VST chamber and fuel clamps wernt even in stock in New Zeland hence the long drawn out process this has been).

Thanks again for your advice."

Just a question. Find the sou

Just a question. Find the source of the water? Fuel tank vent getting water forced into it when in rough water?

I am a yammaha tech and i can

I am a yammaha tech and i can get you whatever you need for parts and i live alot closer than nz from maine and i work at a dealership i would go wt injectors flow test them has been a prob for me befor. But in order to flow test your going to need a gauge and like R.R said the water has to be from some were or just negligence on your part far as changing your filters and reg maint which is pretty common thing with mechanicaly inclined boat owners. Let me now b glad to help.

Sorry thought u were from Cali

Sorry thought u were from California for some reason guess u can get the parts alot closer than Maine. Yeah my bad be happy to help with anything else though.

"Got a local Mercury dealer to

"Got a local Mercury dealer to check the fuel pressure at the top of the fuel rail, no pressure there and HP pump sounds as though it is running fine. Looking for the next point to check, I am assuming the Fuel pressure regulator should be checked. The Merc dealer wont touch it as he doesnt like/understand 4 strokes!!

Looking at getting a tech up from New Zealand to take a look if cant sort out in the next couple of steps, still need to diagnose as close as possible what the problem is though as little point flying someone up then finding I need parts that take weeks to have delivered, and hesitant to spend a lot of money on expensive parts that may not be needed. Other option of course is allowing the tech to substitute parts from the good engine to make sure we have identified all the problems. I'm a bit hesitant though as the other engine has always run perfectly. Certainly prefer a tech to do this than myself.

Any more advice from anyone?"

Back