Logo

Rectifier 1999 60hp bigfoot 3 cyl 2 stroke

fastback4

"1999 60hp bigfoot 3 cyl. 2 st

"1999 60hp bigfoot 3 cyl. 2 stroke…… I had to perform an ohms test on my rectifier. I fished and trolled all day and my battery was at 13-14 volts and motor ran fine. I trailered the boat and retorqued the new spark plugs and noticed the rectifier wire harness (2 red, 2 yellow, 1gray ) had melted together but had not made metal contact. My Clymer manual says to only remove the negative battery wire before testing but I also removed the positive in hast. The stator passed the test. The only test the rectifier failed was the 40,000 ohm test. You place the negative lead ohmmeter on the large red wire at the rectifier and the ground lead ohmmeter to the yellow stator wires one at a time. It should only read 40,000 ohm on 1 yellow wire, not both. I got 40,000 on both yellows but the meter went to 40,000 ohms and drifted back to 0 ohms slowly. Did the battery disconnect procedure make this reading happen or does the battery disconnect procedure matter here? Do I need a new rectifier?……..Regards to all………Tom"

The rectifier should be totall

The rectifier should be totally disconnected before testing because a faulty ignition component could give you faulty test results of the rectifier

Thanks Dwayne..I have installe

Thanks Dwayne..I have installed a new retifier since the post and tested the old one per your instructions.

Back