Logo

NGK spark plugs

snookwhaler

Regular Contributor
"I am confused. I have a 1983

"I am confused. I have a 1983 Johnson 35 HP. I changed the spark plugs in it several months ago.

It had Champion L77JC4 in it. The guy at the store sold me NGK BR7HS-10 plugs.

I have been reading about the "R" plugs and problems associated with them.

My question is this..... Have I screwed something up by running these plugs for 3 months. I use the boat 4 to 5 times a week.

I have been having problems with the engine stalling at half throttle.

Should I go ahead and replace the power pack and coils just to be safe?

I do not want to be stranded.

Thanks,

AJ"

"If Your power pack double fir

"If Your power pack double fires, ignition at both top and bottom, change the powerpack, and bring the bill back to the guy that gave you the 'R' plugs!!!!!
Stay with the Champion (Q)L77JC4 plugs"

"Update...

I put the old &#

"Update...

I put the old (used) plugs back in.

Holy crap!!

It runs 100 times better with the Champions. I am going to take some wave files of the engine running with the NGK plugs and the Champs.

The engine runs quieter smoother and runs better with the champions!

I am still having the stalling problem. The problem happens after the engine has been sitting for about 20 minutes after a long run. The engine will start and idle but will not want to take off. Just spits and dies?

Sounds like a fuel problem to me.....

I dont know?

Regards,

AJ"

"Try the following adjustment

"Try the following adjustment on the idle mix screw:
Screw it careful all the way in and back it out some 3 turns. Start the engine and run it warm.
Turn the screw in 1/8 turn at the time until it runs at highest idle, then back it off 1/8-1/4 turn. Try the acc. Iff still stalls, back out once more.
Another common 'problem' is wrong adjustment of the carb/igntion advance sync.
Be sure the carb does not open until it just passes the pointer on the ignition plate cam arrow. The put in gear and give full throtle, the carb plate should be horisontal. If not adjust the stopper on the rod going from the carb to the ignition/throtle shaft on the port side. When in idle the stopper may be some 1/2" avay from the arm!"

Back