Logo

Mercruiser Inboards and 87 Octane Fuel

chollyjohn

Regular Contributor
"There is alot of controversy

"There is alot of controversy as to the problems arising from use of 87 Octane gas fuel containign 10% Ethanol. I have heard it is good to keep tanks full to avoid condensation, keep water seperation filters clean and add fuel stabilizer to extend period of gas storage in tanks and to avoid "gumming". Has anyone heard otherwise or can add comments about this dilema. Last thing we want is a engine in the shop all season for repair. Have Twin 8.1L MPI. Welcome comments.
218930.jpg
Current twin 8.1L MPI aboard

"The biggest problems seem to

"The biggest problems seem to arise when the boat is an older boat. There are two classes of problems: 1) older boats like Bertrams, with first generation fire retardant resin gas tanks. The ethanol "eats" the tanks, wrecking the engine and eventually eating holes in the tanks.
2) Metal tanks (older ones....this happened to me!) The ethanol "cleans" the old tank out and deposits the gunk in the engine. In my case a 260 HP 5.7L MIE (2BBL) with less than 10 hrs on it. The gunk got thru the factory stock fuel filter and made a mess of the carb. Also filled up the water seperator portion of the filter.
This is probably going to be everyone's problem regardless of age of the boat.

My solution to this is to change the stock filter to a RACOR with a drainable water seperator (metal bowl!). They have one that just replaces the stock MERC screwon one.

I've also started using "E-Zorb" in my fuel."

Startron has a product that ge

Startron has a product that gets rid of water in the fuel. From what I have read ethanol will also cause certain fuel hoses to swell and other carb parts to fail. I don't remember the ratio of ethanol to gas that was discussed but believe it was 85% ethanol:15% gas.

My other ethanol adventure inv

My other ethanol adventure involves the 7.5 HP 4 stroke Honda on my 22 ft sailboat. I had an older aftermarket fuel line w/squeeze bulb. Ethanol "ate" the liner of the hose and made a mess of the carb. Still can't get the idle cicuit to run right :-(.

why the hell are they adding e

why the hell are they adding ethanol anyway? is it more less a watering down money type issue??

"It's supposed to cut down

"It's supposed to cut down on the "the green house effect", however some independent studies show that the net amount of green house gases if you include the farmer's equipment and the transportation and processing of the corn used for ethanol, that it's actually a NET increase in greenhouse gases. Some cynics think that its just a farm subsidy."

"Mercruiser (and can possi

"Mercruiser (and can possibly assume other motor manufacturers) have recently published Addendums to warranties and Service Reports regading the use of Ethanol in the newer engines. The risk is naturally greater for carborated engines and older equipment that was not designed to take into account the damaging effects ethanol can have on older parts with rubber, gaskets, seals, carburator parts, plugs, valves. (just to name a few). Caution
blush.gif
should be used for name band materials and particular avoidance of "after market" brands of parts, etc."

"Giovanny,

Your engine shou

"Giovanny,

Your engine should nave an engine mounted filter gas filter (I have the same engine, only circa 2006) My filter is on the starboard side of the engine up front, and low. If you have one there (a removeable Merc filter) RACOR has an exact replacement filter. Initially you buy it in two parts, a replaceable partical filter and a reuseable water seperator filter with a drain plug. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ONE WITH THE METAL WATER SEPERATOR BOWL!!! Keep an empty coffee can on board to drain the seperator filter into. You don't want to drain it into the bilge. Even in a salt water environment, the coffee can is good for a season."

"I would be interested in know

"I would be interested in knowing just how startron or E-zorb "get rid" of the water in the fuel. I know that "gasahol" absorbs water and that a water separator is essential, but once the water has been absorbed, I can't see how any chemical could remove it. Maybe it prevents the ethanol from absorbing water, but I think that once the water is in the tank,the only solution would be to drain that tank. Does anyone know if this stuff works and if so, how it works?"

"Star Tron by Star Brite

T

"Star Tron by Star Brite

To assist boaters, Star Brite has introduced Star Tron, a revolutionary fuel additive based on enzyme technology that can prevent these water-related fuel problems. water can wind up in your gas or diesel fuel as a result of condensation in the tank. Because water is heavier than fuel, it sinks to the bottom of the tank and forms a distinct water layer. The fuel pick-up tube is located at the bottom of the tank so, once this happens, water is supplied to your fuel pump. Obviously the engine can not burn water; soon it starts to sputter and eventually stops running. Additionally, water is corrosive so it deteriorates tank walls and metals in the fuel delivery system.
The enzymes in Startron prevent the water molecules that are in fuel from combining and forming a distinct water layer. Water is reduced to sub-micron size particles that cannot cause corrosion and are safely burned during normal combustion. The enzyme package in Star Tron disperses water derived from normal condensation into microscopic clusters, and allows the water to pass through the fuel system and engine harmlessly, preventing the buildup on the tank bottom that can contribute to poor performance, fuel gelling and corrosion. This de-watering effect prevents potential phase separation. If large amounts of water are already present it will be de-emulsified and drop out of the body of the fuel, improving overall fuel performance. Over a period of time, with fresh gas loads treated with Star Tron, even large accumulations of water will be totally eliminated. Star Tron can also counter the effects of lost octane, greatly improving the combustion performance of E-10 fuel that has had water contamination.

Star Tron can also prevent filter plugging from old gum and varnish. The enzymes help break down the dislodged sludge and other deposits into sub-micron-sized particles that usually pass through the fuel filter and are burned away as part of the combustion process. Tank deposits that would cause gelling are solubilized so that fuel flows uninterrupted through the filters.

Star Brite Star tron is available in 8 fl. oz, 16 fl. oz, 32 fl. oz."

Back