Logo

Carbon build up

skipper_who

Contributing Member
I have a 68 yr 65 hp engine th

I have a 68 yr 65 hp engine that the 2 top cylenders are carbon up so I was told I can't go full bore. They get fuel and spark comp 125psi.
can any one advise me as what to check or to do to help me slove this problem ty .

"Joe I have done that,I spraye

"Joe I have done that,I sprayed it in the carb, nothing happend.When I sprayed it in the lower carb the rpms went down.I pulled both top plug wires off and it still run. the spark is there at
the plugs tested all the wires with a spark tester and they all have spark.I have not given up.Thank you for your reply.william."

"If your saying the top 2 cyls

"If your saying the top 2 cyls are not producing any power, then either the reed valves are rusted(carboned) shut or the carb itself is clogged with gunk. Providing the engine has compression, spark, and no internal fault."

"JB the carbs were cleaned my

"JB the carbs were cleaned my a macanic.If the reed are closed,then why when I spray gas and oil mix there is no change.no back fire.I will ask the macanic to check the reeds That could be the problem. Thank you"

"put your hand over the bad ca

"put your hand over the bad carb, does it suck air in. pull the spark plugs on the bad cyls, does it go poof when cranked. If the reed is stuck open, there is no way to charge the cyl full of fuel. If there is a blown upper seal or lower seal for the bottom cyl's, there again is no internal compression to charge the cyl's"

J B I will try this after it s

J B I will try this after it stops raining .
This is a problem that the macanic may have not tryed thats why Im on this board to find out what he is not doing. This board has help me a lot and I thank u for the info I have not geven up yet thank you W Z.

J B I will try this after it s

J B I will try this after it stops raining .
This is a problem that the macanic may have not tryed thats why Im on this board to find out what he is not doing. This board has help me a lot and I thank u for the info I have not given up yet thank you W Z.

T Y. i DID AND HAVE SPRAYED 16

T Y. i DID AND HAVE SPRAYED 16 OZ OF SEA FOAM IN TO THE MOTOR I NEED SOME AIR. I WILL SPRAY SOME IN TO THE CYL AND LET IT SET OVER NIGHT. THEN I WILL TRY IT AT FULL BORE TY I HOPE IT WORKS. WILLIAM

"if im reading this right you

"if im reading this right you have a 40 year old motor ?68 65hp ,When was it apart last ? you have been given sound info on this post ,however age of the engine must be taken into consideration .you could spend more than the motor is worth on a rebuild ,maybe its time for a new motor.???? Not sayin im right just another opinion
happy.gif
"

They were good motors in the d

They were good motors in the day( 68 ) today however you have trouble finding a shop to work on them. I am rebuilding a 1960 Mercury 35HP and it was never run too much ( stuck from sitting )and it will run like new again.So your 64Hp motor may be in very good shape and you should take it in to have a shop look it over.Remove bypass covers inspect pistons and rings and do a compression test.If it is in good shape then ask them to do a tune-up.It must be cheaper then a new motor.

"ikia thanks for your reply.I

"ikia thanks for your reply.I have had the carbs cleand by a mercury mehcanic? compression 125 ea cyl Spark to all cyl good.fresh gas,new plugs carb adjusted,fule pump gaskets changed.but the #1 cyl gets wet like it not fireing.sea foam 16 oz between cyl and carbs.thank you wz"

Back