Logo

FD13 Shear Pin

farnsp

Regular Contributor
"Turns out I snapped a shear p

"Turns out I snapped a shear pin. Has anyone every have the bits of broken pin lock up a motor? Over the years, I've had shear pins go before, but never stall the motor. All I did was go from forward to reverse. I opened the gearcase up figuring that it was distroyed, but to my surprize it was all in good condition. Oil was alittle dirty, but looked good. Put it into gear, and it would stall. Had to 3 horse it in."

"if the pin caught a part of t

"if the pin caught a part of the gearcase shell,..i can see it..save me some trbl,and refresh my mem of what a fd13 is?...maybe give the yr and horsepower in the future pls."

"Sorry to trouble you. Thought

"Sorry to trouble you. Thought it might save somebody the time of taking the gearcase apart. The Question was more retorical than anything, the year & hp are unimportant. Thanks for your time."

"paul,...what i meant was,i do

"paul,...what i meant was,i dont have all those fd numbers memorized,and some of the smaller eng's actually did have an area where something could poss catch,but this split,is on shell area."

No need to fight over it. An F

No need to fight over it. An FD-13 is a 1959 18hp. Easy enough to look up if you've got a computer and internet access.

"There's no hostiliy meant

"There's no hostiliy meant, maybe my last post sounded worse than intended. Just meant that I wanted to share with others that just because your lower end jams up, it does'nt necessarily mean that your gears are fried. I would think that this may happen on any motor that may have a pin drive. Thus year and hp would be unimportant. Yes Vics, all three of the manuals I have for this motor, confirm that it is a Johnson 1959 18hp, thanks."

Back