Logo

1955 Evinrude 75 HP water pump replacement

E

Ed Harvey

"I have a 1955 Evinrude Aquaso

"I have a 1955 Evinrude Aquasonic 7.5 HP motor, Model # 7518 and Ser. # 29775, can anyone tell me how to disengage the gear shift to access the Impeller, there is not any access plates anywhere on it! Thanks, Ed"

"Ed...this motor requires powe

"Ed...this motor requires powerhead removal to drop the linkage and lower unit...If the motor was used in fresh water, it will come apart easily and the entire job should take less than two hours including the new impeller. If it were used in salt water, dis-assembly might be more difficult and require heating the aluminum with a propane torch every time you want to remove a stuck bolt. As you proceed, you might want to take some digital photos to help in re-assembly...a manual is available on this site and Probably a very good investment...This link to Duckworks magazine may also be some help. Anyone restoring one of these motors might want to purchase the book "cheap outboards" by Max Wawrzyniak...it has excellent information you will not find elsewhere and is available on the duckworks site. The author is convinced that when buying an outboard under 40 horsepower, the best outboards to buy are the older OMC engines from the 50's and 60's. He tells you which ones to look for and which ones to avoid. It is a great read for anyone interested in these old outboards.
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/12/index.htm"

"Many Thanks Bob, Your informa

"Many Thanks Bob, Your information was right on, disassembly was a piece of cake, no corrosion anywhere, I was amazed how flexible the impeller was after being stored for over 20 years, it will get replaced and also I will replace the Cork carb. float. Again many thanks, Ed"

"These are great engines and w

"These are great engines and with basic maintenance, they will last forever...be sure to mix the oil at 24 to 1 (One Quart for every six gallons) Good Luck}"

Back