Logo

Diesel Fuel In gas tank

hatrassr

"Went to fuel up on Sunday and

"Went to fuel up on Sunday and a new kid on the fuel dock put appox. 10 gallons of diesel in the fuel tank before I realized what he was doing. Question- Will 10 gallons of diesel mixed with 290 gallons of gas harm the motors? (1988 FWC, 454's, 300 gallon tank)

Mike Austin"

"People have put in various co

"People have put in various concentrations of diesel accidentally in various gas vehicles. From what I read, 3% won't be a problem, assuming it actually does mix. Diesel is heavier than gasoline, but will still mix in most proportions, apparently."

I'd zap it with some octan

I'd zap it with some octane booster as well. I hope they didn't charge you for that diesel!

Jeff

"i actually did the same thing

"i actually did the same thing with a rental truck, at that low ratio it shouldnt be a problem, you might experience a little roughness in the engine, but overall you are fine. Take it out in some waves to make sure the fuel mixes together, and like fastjeff said, a little octane booster wont hurt."

"Thanks for the response- I t

"Thanks for the response- I took her out and ran her for about two hours with no noticed ill effects. The dock master knew better than to ask me to pay for that diesel. ( I'd would have told him to pump that tank and refill it with disel free gas)
lol.gif

Mike Austin"

"Good for you, Mike. I always

"Good for you, Mike. I always make damn sure they put GAS in my tank, and that they put it where it goes! You wouldn't believe how many times gas has been put in water tanks, rod holders, sewerage tanks, etc.

Jeff"

I have a vintage hatteras and

I have a vintage hatteras and they always assume it is diesel so we are always careful.

Back