Logo

OMC Winter Readiness in the South

A

Alabama Ran

" Hey Joe, It's been awhil

" Hey Joe, It's been awhile since I felt I needed to ask you about my little Evinrude. The things you suggested earlier this year have provided smooth operation so far this season. I offer you a sincere "Thank you" for freely sharing your vast knowledge with us in this forum. Now let's move to my questions and concerns.

I have a 70 model Evinrude 9.5. It runs really great right now, but with cooler weather approaching, I am concerned about how is the best ways to ensure smooth operation in the future. I am sure there will be periods of time this winter when I will not be able to crank the motor for a little while, although I will have my trusty trash can nearby so I can atleast fire it up on "warmer" days, if I can thaw the water hose enough to pull it to the can and fill it up. I am concerned though as to how long an engine can sit without being cranked before the carbs begin to gum up. Also, is there anything, besides cranking, that will prevent gumming, and should I be too concerned about this in the South?

Basically Joe, I am just wondering if you have any procedures or steps to ready and/or maintain an engine in a Southern Winter so that I can be assured of a smooth start when the temps begin to warm in early Spring. As always, I and many others appreciate your expert advice. Here's wishing you and yours a Wonderful Holiday Season and God Bless. "

" Alabama..... Winterizing eng

" Alabama..... Winterizing engines has never been one of my high points. However, my best advice would be to purchase some fogging solution at your local marine dealership, then run the engine at a fairly high idle while spraying the fogging solution into the carburetor intake. At first spray just enough to have the rpms drop somewhat and have the exhaust sprew out a good bit of dense smoke.... then spray a large anount of the solution into the carb so that the engine floods out on it.

Now, remove the bolt/screw at the front bottom of the carb to drain out all of the fuel within it. Let it sit like that for awhile so that the fuel can really drain, then replace the bolt/screw. Spray down the powerhead with WD40 and put the hood back on.

That will protect all of the inner powerhead components, and guard against rust and corrosion of the outer parts. Hopefully this procedure will also keep the carb from fouling.

I spent about 15 years in South Jersey where winterizing engines was a must. The above worked out fairly well. Occasionally we would have a carb foul (engine stored from October to May) but that was few and far between.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" I see there are 8 replies to

" I see there are 8 replies to this post, but I can only open Joe's first reply following my original question. I have emailed Andrew RE: This problem. This is basically a test to see if THIS reply will show up on my computer. Hopefully I can see what others thought about my original post. If not, I want to thank Joe for his reply and addresing my concerns. "

Alabama..... I tried to e-mai

Alabama..... I tried to e-mail you but apparently you haven't entered the address. Pertaining to the eight (8) replies... a glitch has recorded the attempts to post as well as the actual posted reply (mine). I'm sure the glitch will be corrected ASAP.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

Thanks Joe. I have put in the

Thanks Joe. I have put in the email address and will do so from now on in the event this happens again. Many thanks.

Back