Logo

1999 Nissan 18hp 2stroke new to me idling issues

floridanissan

"Just picked this little gem u

"Just picked this little gem up, and so far am impressed with it. Starts 1st pull, runs smoothly and seems like it's got tons of power for an 18.

But.. I'm having a problem with the idle, can anyone tell me how to adjust the settings to keep it idling? Runs smooth and evenly throughout the entire RPM range but stalls at idle speed in neutral.

Thanks!"

"Service manual = downtime and

"Service manual = downtime and $$.

NEWS FLASH: They've now invented the internet and forums!

Forums = free but sometimes have to wait a few minutes for helpful input

All kidding aside, anyone have any helpful info?"

"Service manual = visual guide

"Service manual = visual guide and correct repair procedure.

News Flash: Manuals need to be in front of you before you attempt to do anything if you lack the technical ability upfront.

Forums = Free tips, when appropriate. Not a free mechanic at your beck and call.

All kidding aside, take the hint."

"Hey TG......Well, looks like

"Hey TG......Well, looks like I must have stepped on your greasy shoes there, wrench.

My bad for reading responses from others (and YOU I might add) concerning posters' troubles and thinking this was a place to come when seeking help with outboard engine troubles. Apparantly by your first response, I was wrong. So then exactly WHAT is the forum for?

Should we all just post "service manual" as a response to everyone who comes here seeking input?

Then what's the purpose of this forum?

And why would we need a self-proclaimed "Guru" when all he offers is "service manual"??

You know I looked through your old posts, and couldn't seem to find another as blunt as the first one you left me. Or as rude as your second. Personally I felt my first post was as honest and genuine as anyone else who was seeking input.

So that leaves me to wonder about your "free tips when appropriate" comment. When is it appropriate to offer a new poster help?

Again, sorry for my first post asking for some input. The last thing I wanted to do was to get into an arguement over the internet, especially with a grease monkey.

Anon, thanks for your response. That's all I needed and will get me where I needed to go. Glad there are some nice posters out there willing to help others.

-T"

Your arrogance is appalling. Y

Your arrogance is appalling. You are owed nothing accept scorn for being too cheap to pony up for a manual and to help yourself. As to my being rude...I responded to you exactly as you had responded to me. People like yourself think that you are owed....Guess what? You are not. I'm happy to help anyone who attempts to either help themselves first or take their engine into a service facility and then want to corroborate what they are being told. People who are unwilling to take the smallest steps to solve their own problems deserve nothing...At least from me.

"A little help or a point in t

"A little help or a point in the right direction as to the nature or fuguring out the problem is the reason for this forum. There is nothing wrong with that. Just what i think. Anyways to answer your question floridanissan you may want to look into maybe getting a carb rebuild kit, it may be that your idle jet is clogged or you may just want to try some carb cleaner preferably the liquid so that you can just pour into the gas tank. Run it for a while to hopefully get what is in their out. Even if there isn't anything in there carb it doesn't hurt to try."

"Guru, you are too funny. You

"Guru, you are too funny. You missed the point. All I did was ask for help, same as everyone else on this forum.

FIRST: It was clearly YOU who responded to my first post in a ridiculous manner. Please check above for your response under my initial question and see for yourself. Good boy, see what I mean? Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere!

Ok, having clarified that, please go through your history and show me where you responded to ANYONE else as buntly and "unhelpfully" as you did to me, a new user on his first post.

I'll check back in a few days to see what you've come up with. I'm guessing none, but I'll come back again just to entertain you.

SECOND, your third post says "I responded to you exactly as you had responded to me". Greaser, again you've got the chain of command wrong. I posted a normal, honest question. Then you responded as a smart-you-know-what. Then I responded in a manner consistent with your first response. My second post comes after your first post. Are you clear now? Good boy.

THIRD, I never stated anyone owed me anything. Clearly by looking over any other thread on this board, the very premise of this forum is to ask questions about the problem at hand, in the hopes that someone out there has some input that will help guide you to fixing the issue. Again, this is just my speculation based on browsing through the 100's of topics on this board, but I think I'm pretty close with my assumption. So generally I would fit in with the masses that frequent this forum and ask for help.

So that leads me to my last point:

Clarify if you would when you said "You are owed nothing accept scorn for being too cheap to pony up for a manual and to help yourself". Is this your normal response to anyone posting here for help?

Here's what I think: You've come across as perhaps having a bad day/hour/minute when you posted your first response. Clearly you were in a non-helpful mood. Perhaps you got grease in your eye. Or busted your knuckles when a wrench slipped. Or your back is tired from leaning over and spinning wrenches.

Hey, anybody can have a bad day. Adults will apologize.

But you, nope, no apology. You stuck your other hand in the bucket of oil with your second post and showed your true colors. Your third post just seals the deal.

Since I don't spend my life living on a forum and posting several posts a day for the past year (like you) it may be a few days/weeks before I get time to check back, but I hope in the meantime you take a minute and answer the points I've made above.

Or just flat out come out with an apology about being such a miserable fool."

"Well, this has been an back t

"Well, this has been an back to back fight to the end. However, both have good reason or whatever, not getting into it again. However, Floridanissan, when someone actually gives you a possiblity of what the problem is, its good manners to at least respond back to say thanks, another reason for this forum. Having Manners = The possiblity of more useful information of this forum."

"I also have a 1999 18 hp Niss

"I also have a 1999 18 hp Nissan, and I am having the exact same problem. I had the carb rebuilt, and changed all the fueline fittings, but I am still having the same problem. Did you ever solve your problem?"

"Looking at the motor ,the adj

"Looking at the motor ,the adjustment screws you seek are on the left side of the carby if you are facing the motor from the front ."

Back