Logo

99 Nissan Idle problem

R

R. Farb

After having my 9.9 4 stroke N

After having my 9.9 4 stroke Nissan worked on for idle problems it's back. I either run full out or not at all. Now I can't even get in gear due to high RPM's to get out of my slip. Marina says it's bad gas. I haven't switched out gas yet. Could it be that simple?

"I had a similiar problem with

"I had a similiar problem with my 18, 4 stroke. The gas turns a dark color after sitting in the fuel line and doesn't want to idle. I took it to a service center, they cleaned everything, discovered the fuel line gas was dark and told me that Tohatsu is looking into the problem. I am hoping that they will recall the fuel lines, until then, I am running it until the entire fuel line is empty after each run."

"The guys at the service cente

"The guys at the service center originally told me that it was probably from ethanol in the fuel. After that I am only using gas that supposedly doesn't have ethanol, but it still turns the dark color if it sits in the fuel line a few days. I told them that and they told me to bring in my fuel line the next time I am around their shop and they would give me a new one. Tohatsu Guru, what are your thoughts on this?"

It's not the fuel line tha

It's not the fuel line that's causing the problem. It's an additive in combination with the alcohol that a refinery is adding to the fuel that is reacting with the rubber in the prime bulb. We know its not the alcohol itself as we have never seen it until recently and the problem seems to be limited to certain geograhical areas. The solution is replacement of the black prime bulb with the grey prime bulb or to switch out the complete fuel line.

All you need is the grey bulb.

All you need is the grey bulb...There is no need for a new fuel line. Or you could get your gas from a different vendor that uses a different formulation. That ones kind of hard as you never know who is supplying what to whom.

I have already tried getting m

I have already tried getting my gas from 3 different stations with the same results. My local dealer/service shop hasn't seen any or know of any grey bulbs. Where can I get one? I would think this would be covered under the warranty for a new motor with only about 5 hours on it.

"I know this is going to be a

"I know this is going to be a blow to everyone...

I WAS WRONG.

The replacement bulb is black as well, though it is on a grey fuel line.

Technically it's not warranty because the fault lies with the fuel manufacturing process and is not a defect in the hose. Reality is that the manufacturer is making the engine for the U.S. market and if this fuel is used in the U.S. they have a responsibility to provide a hose that will work here, so they are covering it."

"So TG,

I have been watchin

"So TG,

I have been watching this thread, And as you know I also was having the idle issues. A carb kit with needle & seat, float and new gaskets and cleaning made the engine run like it should from April to July when it quit running altogether period. In July I noticed a brown gasoline too,but thought it normal gas color. $85.00 for profession cleaning of the car and a new spark plug. Now a second filter at the tank am keeping fresh gas I seem to be doing good again except I've had to replace the squeeze bulb last week as it started to leak when squeezed. The squeeze bulb sits in the lazarette out of the suns UV so this post may have given me the answer to the gas attacking the rubber bulb.

Is Nissan replacing bulbs? and fuel line too? If so what do I need to do?."

It is a 2003 or 2004.

NSE 5

It is a 2003 or 2004.

NSE 5A2S 3H6-1

000087XD

5 HP 4 Stroke Long shaft.

I use it on my 222 O'Day sailboat.

Lucky Bum

"You can ask your local dealer

"You can ask your local dealer to contact Tohatsu/Nissan and see if they can "goodwill" you one. Like all manufacturers, Tohatsu has a one year warranty on rubber parts and you are way outside of that warranty. Keep in mind, this isn't a defect part. This is a part that is being subjected to a third party chemical agent."

Back