Logo

1989 force 125 with problem

geeeyejoe0304

"I have a 1989 force 125 that

"I have a 1989 force 125 that has been in the shop for almost a year now. My mechanic cannot figure out what is wrong. The last time I took it out on the water, it seemed not to be running at nearly any speed, although the engine had plenty of rpm's, and definately sounded ok. At times, the engine would get these bursts of speed and power which jumped the boat forward for a few seconds, and then loose the power again. My mechanic, said that it has to be something to do with the ignition between chrysler and force, and I just dont know about that. He also said that there are almost no parts available, but I see many parts on ebay and such. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or if any diagnosis. I thought it might be a prop hub, but would that cause bursts of speed and power which only last few seconds. Bye the way, compression and spark is good in all cylinders, carb has been completely cleaned."

"If it was the prop, when the

"If it was the prop, when the boat lost forward movement the motor would rev up.

1 - get a new mechanic - after a year if he hasn't even narrowed it down to an ignition problem he is either uninterested or incompetent

The Force ignition systems are not that complicated - they are not the best, but not difficult to troubleshoot - and all the components are available both from Merc (very pricey) and CDI - decent prices

However, before you spend a cent on parts the motor need to be properly diagnosed.

Personally, I would try and beg/borrow another prop and try that first - even if just to rule it out, then find a decent place to take a look at it - it could well be a fuel issue just as much as ignition..."

"Thanks for the advice, I am s

"Thanks for the advice, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, no one here in Myrtle Beach will work on Force motors except for him. I will try and see what I can do about borrowing a prop....thanks again"

So put a timing light on this

So put a timing light on this motor.Start with cylinder #1 and when it act up look to see if the flashing stopped.Repeat with the other cylinders. A no flash condition means no spark.

If he is the only person who w

If he is the only person who will touch it and he has had it a year it has gotta be quicker to take it somewhere else.....even if you have to walk there!!

I had a sort of the same issue

I had a sort of the same issue with a 1989 100hp mariner. It turned out that my lower unit had some issues with it and was to expensive to fix. So I bought a newer Force outboard. Have him check your lower unit.

I also have a 1989 force 125 w

I also have a 1989 force 125 withthe same problem. First we checked compression all 4 cylinders are good. Then we checked spark again all 4 cylinders are good. The gas is fresh and flows to both carburators. both carbs appeared clean both the top one doesn't seem to work right. the air flow ajustment does nothing and you can either choke it or stop gas flow to it and it makes no difference in how engine is running. if you do either to the bottom carb the engine cuts out. So i had the top carb rebulit and it still acts like it is not working . does anybody have a suggestion that might help ?

"George'
I've seen ma

"George'
I've seen many eat the splines out of the crank shaft. Particularly on the west coast of Flordia.

Check your lower unit for metal shavings- if you have the single piece lower unit, it might have a ruined crush sleeve under the water pump.

Take a magic marker and draw a line cross the prop hub to the propeller blades- if it spins, the line will break.

"

Back