Logo

3 wire ignition auto bilge switch

composerchick

"Hello,
I have a 1984 4 Winn

"Hello,
I have a 1984 4 Winn's Candia 170, with a MCM 140 engine. It has a 3 wire ignition switch in the dash; there is a red wire coming from the fuse to one terminal of the switch, there is a purple wire that appears to go to the gauges and at the bottom is a yellow/red striped wire going to the harness.
My Question is which is the Ignition wire?
Can't find the proper diagrams for this boat.
I am trying to hook up and automatic bilge blower switch and it requires being hooked up to the Ignition side of the switch.
Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Deb"

"The Red is 12 that feeds the

"The Red is 12 that feeds the switch.

The yellow with red stripe is the "crank" out put of the switch.

The purple is the "run" out put of the switch "ingition on".

You should hook up the bildge power to a fused 12 volt source and not a ingintion terminal.

You want the bildge to work anytime it needs to.
I am assuming that the bildge pump has a float switch biult in?

There usually is 3 wires comming from the pump.
Brown
brown with white or some other stripe color.
Black

Either the brown is on/off or the brown w/stripe is and the other is "auto",read your instructions.

The manual on/off wire gets wired to a on/off switch usually in the dash or it should allready be at the bildge area and the auto should get hooked to a 12 volt fused source.

hook up the black to ground "negative""

"Hello and Thanks.
However t

"Hello and Thanks.
However this is for the bilge Blower (air) not the bilge (water) pump.
The manufacture of the motion switch instructs it to be hooked up to the Ignition switch, and it is hooked to the air tube of the speedometer.
So it runs when below planing speed etc.
Again Thanks :)"

"Not to be funny, but what`s w

"Not to be funny, but what`s wrong with the blower switch on the dash now?
and why can`t you just turn it on?"

Sorry missed the "blower&#

Sorry missed the "blower" part.

It still is the same hook up.

A normal blower is wired like this.

+12 vdc (battery) thru a fuse to a switch and to the blower.

So if your blower came with a pressure switch that installs into the speedo line ( I do not reccomend this) the the switch should be hooked up the same.

+12vdc to a fuse then to the pressure switch then to the blower.

The problem with the speedo line is if the PITOT tube or the speedo lines breaks cracks or malfuctions then the blower will not turn on.

Also I do not reccomend connecting to the Purple wire (12 vdc when Ign key is in the run position)

The ingition curcit is for the ingition in my opinion.

I would reccomend hooking it up the standard way and manually operating it.

Or hooking up a 12v dc relay to power it up and then use the Purple wire as the relay coil/control power.

"Deborah, the purple wire is t

"Deborah, the purple wire is the ignition wire.
follow the directions that came with that auto blower and you will be fine."

Here is my nickel's worth.

Here is my nickel's worth. Follow the red or purple wire under the dash to a fuse strip; the builder may have used a diff. wire to it. You'll have to (not being crude) lay on your back w/a flashlight to find it; mine was up high on the bottom side of the dash. If the fuse strip comes off the red wire then it is live all the time. Connect your blower wire there on the opposite side that the main 12V wire is attached. Install the proper sized fuse called for; maybe 7.5 amp. There should also be a few ground wire clips at the fuse box for use.

Mine was the old tube type fuse strip so I changed it to an auto type box.

"Quote; Not to be funny, but w

"Quote; Not to be funny, but what`s wrong with the blower switch on the dash now?
and why can`t you just turn it on? end quote.

Well BT Doctur I loan my boat out to the Grand Kids and they are not use to inboards and I don't want to worry if they forget to run the blower etc as these kids don't seem to listen!"

"Here is my suggestion. If you

"Here is my suggestion. If you are unfamiliar with this try to find someone who can help.

Hope this helps.
218561.jpg
"

For my 2 cents by the time you

For my 2 cents by the time you turn on the ignition switch you are about 5 minutes late for turning on the blower.(kaboom)

"I agree with tsb,you need to

"I agree with tsb,you need to run the blower for at least 2 or 3 minutes before ever touching the ignition switch."

Agreed!!

Just giving a alte

Agreed!!

Just giving a alternative to a speedo line pressure switch.

"Deborah:

Children are smar

"Deborah:

Children are smarter than many adults when it comes to safety. Your simple instructions for them to run the blower at least 3 minutes before starting, keep it running while underway AND not allowing anyone onboard until the boat is running
should suffice.

Your state should have boating safety booklets on-line for them to review together as a family. Ohio requires anyone born after 1980? to take a Coast Guard training course to be certified as an operator of a boat.

We are not picking at you; your intentions are noteworthy. A member working on his boat recently headed a recommendation to keep a fire ext. at hand while working. Below are his replies:

"Hello all,
Just a quick note to say thanks for all your tips and advice particularly about having a fire extinguisher to hand when using the portable tank as we had a small fire in the bilge from the vapour! Boat all sorted now, pulling 5000 rpm (19" prop) and going great!...needed a new set of leads as they melted (they were the wrong ones anyway!) in fact, the contact was so poor on the plug end, we think that might where the igniting spark originated from! The bilge pump and a pipe from the exhaust changeover compressor also got cooked but it was all pretty minor compared to what could have been with 300 litres of fuel on board......lesson learned for me!!"

All of the ideas thrown your way via scud missiles were just using airmail for delivery. We hope the kids understand the necessity of SAFETY FIRST. Now, if you can just convince US and THEM to wear OUR life jackets we'll all be safe.

Safe Boating to all.
sun.gif
"

Back