Logo

Oil hose busted

kevin_z

Regular Contributor
"The oil hose from the U-coole

"The oil hose from the U-cooler to the remote oil filter busted while I was going throuh a no-wake (1000 RPM) on my starboard Crusader 454XL. I shut it down as the alarm went off. Got back to dock. What a MESS!!! Seven quarts of oil to clean up.. Question- What is the best way to get oil off the engine, hoses, belts, ect.... I always keep oil diapers inthe bilge, they did a great job."

"I'd suggest a big plastic

"I'd suggest a big plastic trash bag lining a trash can, a few rolls of paper towels, a couple cans of brake cleaner, a bag of rags, and a pair of nitrile gloves. Once you get the engine done, take care of the bilge. Shut off your automatic pumps until you get it all cleaned up.

I don't think you will get it all so expect some smoke and stink once you get the hose fixed and start the engine again.

You may find a portable box fan helpful, to circulate enough air to keep the fumes from getting too strong."

"IF--repeat--IF the bilge is d

"IF--repeat--IF the bilge is dry, you can sop some of it up with speedi-dry, then vacuum it out. Don't even think of using it if water is presnet, however. (Don't ask!)

Jeff"

"Throw the diapers in the bilg

"Throw the diapers in the bilge, let them collect what drips off the motor then clean the rest with Castrol SuperClean and a bucket of water. Comes up cleaner than new."

"It was a hose failure. On th

"It was a hose failure. On the upper hose to the remote filter, just before the swedge, was a quarter inch split.

BUT< check this out, the genset had some work done, and the best way to get out of the hole was to grab that hose/fitting."

"ehem...

This is why I do

"ehem...

This is why I don't have the remote oil cooler system on my boat. Yes, I do look like a ventriloquist when removing and replacing the oil filter but, this case scenario is what I intend to avoid..."

"i've actually lost more o

"i've actually lost more oil thru broken oil pressure switches than all the hoses. Seen it on 4 different engines, Maybe, just luck..."

Back