Logo

Trim vs tilt

tonycma

"What is the difference betwee

"What is the difference between power trim and power tilt.

I have a 1988 DP-290, I hear them both talked about, but I don't know the difference neither do I know which one I have."

power tilt units are electical

power tilt units are electically powered. motor is mounted inside the boat on the transom assembly. they are not for use under power. power trim is hydraulic. mounted ahead of drive outside the boat. can be used while running.

"Power trim: A way of changing

"Power trim: A way of changing the direction of the pushing force by normally changing the angle of the propeller shaft relative to the water line. The easiest way to do this is by changing the drive angle relative to the transom. Normally on drives the trim range has two areas of operation:Normal, where you may use full power while changing the trim, and Beach: intended for idle running etc when running up on a beach or in shallow water.
The tilt is for getting the drive/propeller as far up/out of the water as possible for trailering etc. Normally engines should not be run in 'tilt' modus. For sten drives it will mainly be a risk of ruining the drive chain(u-joint and bellows), for outboards, (carburetted) the carb's does not work (float level/needle).
The normal way of operating the trim/tilt systems is by use of a hydro-electric power unit that works on hydralic cylinders/pistons."

I have electrically powered hy

I have electrically powered hydraulic pump motors inside the boat that push hydraulic fluid to the outdrive pistons that raise and lower my outdrives.

Is this considered tilt or trim?

Thanks

It is both!
You probably have

It is both!
You probably have the 'tv' trim gauge instrument where you may trim within aboout -7 to +10 (depending on adjustment) When You want to go above that You have to push an extra button to get into the 'tilt/beach' area.

"Thanks Morten,

I have trim

"Thanks Morten,

I have trim switch with the extra button, but the extra button is not wired to anything.

Don't know why. At least now I know what the difference is."

Back