Logo

1989 Mercury Mariner 40 Magnum new control box help needed

badhabit

"I'm new here to the forum

"I'm new here to the forum so any help would be appreciated. I have a 1989-1990 40hp Mercury Mariner that I'm having a little trouble with. I've been having trouble with cables sticking in the control box, then my power tilt/trim went out in the box so I searched around and found a new control box with cables that I installed over the weekend. The motor had the old 8 pin connection and I had to get an adapter to connect the new 14 pin plug to the old motor. I hooked everything up on the motor end but there are wires sticking out of the control box that, according to the installation manual, go to the tach. The wiring harness on the new box is not the same as the old harness so I have left them unplugged. Long story short, ever since I removed the old cables, and installed the new ones, I can't get the motor to start. It'll turn over and I've checked the plugs (which I put in yesterday) and they are firing but it's almost like no gas is getting to the motor. I also replaced the fuel lines this weekend and cleaned the carbs, installed a new fuel filter, but it still acts like it's not getting any fuel. Could this be caused by a wiring problem or does it sound like something else related to the fuel system. I am going to put a new diaphragm in the fuel pump today to see if this will not remedy the problem as I noticed pieces of plastic in the old fuel line. During removal, I noticed that the old fuel line was cracked badly on the inside and was very brittle. I actually saw some pieces in the fuel filter when I replaced it. Also, I removed the oil tank and capped off the the oil pump and removed the two tan wires running from the oil sensor. Could this add to the problem of not starting??
Any suggestions/comments??
BTW, the motor ran great a week ago, just can't get it to start since changing the box and cables."

Back