Logo

Tohatsu 4hp 4 Strike Brand New Will not run

joea

"I have a brand new motor that

"I have a brand new motor that will not run at low idle. Will only run at half or full throttle. After running for only about a minute at 1/2 or full throttle the motor dies out and fuel begins pouring out of the carb. I bought the motor back to the dealer. They flushed the fuel and said the needle valve had dirt stuck in it, and cleaned that out. I picked up the motor tried it yesterday and it is doing the same thing. Fuel pouring out of the carb and it will not run. This is a brand new motor with less than 5 minuites of run time.... Its going back to the dealer but not sure what to do from here."

There isn't anything for y

There isn't anything for you to do other than dumping your old fuel. Trash in the fuel is a common problem that effects engines anywhere from new to 50 years old.

when it does it try tapping on

when it does it try tapping on the side of the carb with a screw driver handle sometimes it works i have had them get stuck like that especailly the the 4hp internal tanks and the average guy dont get along too well

all my motors have external tanks and gas stored indoors

I did some additional trouble

I did some additional trouble shooting last night.
I f I start the engine and shutoff the fuel it will run very nicely for about 5 min
Until it runs out of fuel. If I open the fuel restart the engine it runs fine now instead
Of letting the fuel run out again I open the fuel tank and within 5-10 seconds the
Carb floods out. To me this indicates that the needle valve is being over run by the fuel pump. I removed the bowl and squirted carb cleaner through the seat assembly and still have the same problem. Does the needle valve just pull out I would like to pull it and clean it more thoroughly. I also drained all the fuel and it was very clean. I am reluctant to bring it back to the dealer I do not think they did anything to the motor for the week they had it. Soon as I started it after getting it back from them it flooded right out.
The dealer is a warehouse store Defender Marine Industries and I am thinking there
Technicians may lack technical experience.

You need to stop and take it i

You need to stop and take it in to any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer. By working on it yourself you may inadvertantly damage the engine. You have a warranty so please use it.

take it to a true dealer not j

take it to a true dealer not just a distruber they dont really care i have noticed that with a lot of dealers i work on my own stuff i do a heck of a lot better

Back