Logo

15 hp evinrude lacks powerrevs

C

Cam Brown

" Any suggestions?
I recently

" Any suggestions?
I recently purchased a reconditioned 1985 15 hp evinrude. I'm almost through my second tank of 40:1 fuel mix to 'run it in' and it is still really sluggish. It's starting fine and idles well, but does not respond to throttle opening and bogs down quite bad. My old 8 hp Merc was quicker by far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as It's just about summer here in Australia and I want to make the most of the weekends!
Cheers
Cam Brown "

"Cam.... There's no need t

"Cam.... There's no need to be using a 40/1 mixture. It's quite alright to use the standard 50/1 mixture for break in. The problem you describe would be contributed to a slightly clogged/fouled carburetor. Possibly, whoever rebuilt the engine did not do a thorough job of rebuilding the carb (it happens). I'm assuming that the compression and spark etc are as they should be.

Joe
"

" Joe, thanks for your reply.

" Joe, thanks for your reply. I'll try the carb first. I'm assuming that because its a rebuild, that the compression is fine. The spark is fine, tested it last night. Would I be right in thinking that the high speed jet is the culprit? How can I fix a fouled/clogged carb?

Thanks again Joe

Cam Brown

P.S I will start using 50:1 mix now! "

"Cam.... The only way to fix a

"Cam.... The only way to fix a clogged/fouled carb is to remove, dismantle, clean, and rebuild it. Purchase a complete carburetor kit first. Make notes and drawings as to what goes where. Believe me that regardless of how simple it seems, you will find something where you can't remember how it should be when it comes time to put the engine back together.

Note... It will no doubt be necessary to remove the manual starter. Be very careful as that spring is dangerous! Pull the rope out a few feet and tie a slip knot in it so that it can't rewind back. Carefully remove the starter handle, then grab the rope inside at the starter pulley, then let the rope withdraw somewhat but not completely (leave a foot or so to work with). Now, secure the rope inside at the starter pulley to the upright pulley gear guide in a manner that will prevent the spring from rewinding the cord etc. Hold the manual starter assy together when loosening the top large retaining bolt (do not remove that bolt completely from the starter housing assy). Carefully remove the starter assy while holding it together. Screw a nut on the bottom of that large retaining bolt to hold the starter together while you're working on other components. Reverse the procedure to install the starter. Notice that there is a 90° flange on the bottom of that spring housing that locks into the bracket it sits upon Good Luck.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Joe does that same procedure

" Joe does that same procedure hold true for my 1977 25 hp manual start , that you gave Cam about removing manual starter with rope?? If you remove those 3 bolts from top of starter will it fly apart Also i had to make a trip to vineland today so i thought i would stop in to see Harry but couldnt find place West ave off of Chestnut is that right?? "

" Gary.... No, the 25hp manual

" Gary.... No, the 25hp manual starter is a completely different animal. Removing those three (3) bolts will simply allow you to lift the complete starter assy off the engine. The Boat Docktor (Harry Nitsche) is slightly south of Chestnut at/on 712 S.West Blvd on the west side of the street.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

"Cam.... The only way to fix a clogged/fouled carb is to remove, dismantle, clean, and rebuild it. Purchase a complete carburetor kit first. Make notes and drawings as to what goes where. Believe me that regardless of how simple it seems, you will find something where you can baccarat 't remember how it should be when it comes time to put the engine back together.

Back