Logo

Vibration while under way

briang0

Regular Contributor
While I am under way I have be

While I am under way I have been getting an increasing vibration in the boat it seems to be getting worse as the seasons goes on. It is not noticeable between 600 and about 2500 RPMs it really becomes noticeable above 2500 RPM. I know that my cutless bearing is not in the best shape. At low speeds it is noisy but quites down after about 1500 RPMs the vibration doesn't get bad until after 2500. What is the general opinion here new cutlass bearing and align the shaft recondition the prop or should I be looking deeper. If I bring the RPMs up while at the dock there is no vibration.

With no vibration in neutral i

With no vibration in neutral it has to be prop shaft related. I had this on my 1986 Silverton and I had the props tuned and the cutlass bearings replaced. That took care of it. I am starting to have a vibration once again so this winter the props will be tuned once again.

When's the last time your

When's the last time your couplings were aligned? They need to be within 0.003 inches of correct or this will happen.

Jeff

Do you have to align the coupl

Do you have to align the couplings as part of regular maintenance? I have not done this since I have owned the boat so it's been at least 2 years. I have the prop reconditioned every year do I have to ask the shop to balance it too or is it done evertime? Last year I had a problem with electrolosys and the prop I added zincs so I'm hopeing it has happened again.

Props turning in the water are

Props turning in the water are often "bent" slightly out of shape causing them to be unbalanced and less efficient. By "tuning" them they are put back into their efficient shape. Prop Scan is well know for their prop work. Google them to see what I am talking about.

>>What's the diffe

>>What's the difference in price for tuning and just getting a new prop ?<<

Way toooo much. Tuning props is a joke and a waste of money. Once a prop is set out of balance there is no such thing as tuning it. Replace it and save your engine from driving an unbalanced prop.

Capndick

"Gee Capt Dick...

Unless I

"Gee Capt Dick...

Unless I am confused, my props shook our boat badly. Had PropScan tap them into balance and the vessel is a smooth as can be under all power conditions. Cost was under $400 for both. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a VERY noticable difference."

"I'll have tot add I'm

"I'll have tot add I'm a believer in the propscan process, too. Even had the 'brand new" set go thru the process and both needed minor adjustment. They used to have three different levels of tolerance. I opted for the economical level and was so happy by the difference. Not only did all the shimmies and rattles go away but it was so much easier getting the engines sync'd up when running."

""Tuning props is a joke a

""Tuning props is a joke and a waste of money. Once a prop is set out of balance there is no such thing as tuning it. Replace it and save your engine from driving an unbalanced prop."

Dude, you're using the wrong prop shop."

Back