Logo

Poor idle on 1988 90hp Johnson

overs56621

"Last year I pruchased a resur

"Last year I pruchased a resurection project boat and motor. It had been sitting in a field for the last five years after being run hard and not expected to live. I did a complete overhaul on the motor including new block, pistons, bearings, etc. It started and ran great except it never would idle properly for more than about 15 seconds after which it would slow, sputter, sneeze and quit. As an experiment I used an old syringe to inject fuel into the carbs as it was starting to slow and it seemed to have a noticable positive effect when I shot fuel into the upper carb. I used new fuel in portable tanks, rebuilt and or replaced the carburators and recently replaced the VRO. Still runs great everywhere except at idle. I am now preparing to replace both carbs with two I am about to rebuild. Does anyone out there have any other thoughts or suggestions?"

"u r running,to lean,..lean id

"u r running,to lean,..lean idle passages blocked,etc.how did u set the ring gaps?...did u repl recirc valves?,....fuel pressure ok at idle?....used new gaskets through-out?..esp on,intake area..?this was a brand new,out of the box BRP new block?"

"To jwbmarine. Thanks for res

"To jwbmarine. Thanks for response. Block was brand new from BRP dealer. Taken from new powerhead that would not match up to my lower unit. Bought block and it's pistons with rings, used my crank, heads and rods, all new bearings and gaskets. Didn't replace recir valves unless they came with the block. Since changing VRO pump made no difference, I presume fuel pressure is ok. When carbs are removed, they contain plenty of gas."

"After a couple od days of scr

"After a couple od days of scratching my head, I recall removing the recirc valves and cleaning them with carb cleaner. That is about what the Clymer manual recommends. However, when I was reassembling the engine after the rebuild I was not quite sure of where each valve should be connected. There is at least one "T" in the works. Maybe I have connected the "ankle bone to the head bone". Could someone tell me which recirculator valve connects to what other part of the powerhead."

Back