Logo

Honda 75hp starter problems

"The chamber in the engine whe

"The chamber in the engine where the starter protrudes to mesh with the gears was flooded with water. I vacuumed out the water in the engine with a wet vac, but after running several hours it was flooded again."

There is no water that I can s

There is no water that I can see with the cowling removed. Seems that the water is coming into the compartment internally somewhere.

well only thing to do is start

well only thing to do is start motor and take off starter

i doubt u can pull start that motor

Honda has a TSB on that proble

Honda has a TSB on that problem. The engine has a seal on the upper part of the drive shaft that has failed on your engine. They will replace the all parts that have been damaged by the water in the cavity including the starter motor.

Excellent. Thanks for the info

Excellent. Thanks for the information. Can you tell me where I can find information on the TSB (I am assuming Technical Service Bulletin?)

"Call your local Honda dealer,

"Call your local Honda dealer, he will know what you are talking about. That happened to my motor two years ago. They did all the work and replaced the parts at no expense to me."

"Nick,

My Honda dealer is t

"Nick,

My Honda dealer is telling me that they do not see a TSB for this. Can you give me a contact number for the dealer that repaired this for you? I need to get the TSB number if possible. Thanks for your help."

"Paul,
The service bulletin i

"Paul,
The service bulletin is #26 was revised September 2003. It affects BF75 & BF90. This is caused by water being forced up the vertical shaft against the mount case seal causing water to leak into the flywheel cavity. A new modified extension case will be installed with new seals. In my case the starter was badly rusted and was also replaced.
Good Luck, Nick"

"Thanks, again Nick for the in

"Thanks, again Nick for the info. This worked, once I gave them the number they found the TSB and told me they would cover the repair, saved me bundles. I had my starter rebuilt, it also was starting to corrode badly.
This is a great forum."

sometimes u need a good dealer

sometimes u need a good dealer

1 thing i always do is run the serial number at the shop

"Paul,
You are welcome!!!!
I

"Paul,
You are welcome!!!!
I would show the bill for the rebuilt starter and ask for a new one! They replaced mine because of salt water damage.
Good luck, Nick"

Back