Logo

Hole in AQ130C exhaust manifold cover

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"I went boating today and whil

"I went boating today and while the engine (AQ130C) was warming up and I was just doing an inspection, I felt pressurized hot air coming from the exhaust manifold area. Upon closer inspection, I found a small hole in the exhaust manifold cover (part 15 here http://tinyurl.com/6j9shf). I decided that it was not an outing stopping issue so we continued on our way and had a good day on the water. At first I thought that someone had patched a hole at one time with some black permatex or something similar, but what I think I am seeing is carbon buildup. In any case, it looks like I can just buy a new cover and I'll be good as new again. Just out of curiosity, was it OK for me to continue with this exhaust manifold leak? I checked several times during the day to be sure that the hot exhaust was not in danger of catching the engine cover on fire, and other than smelling the exhaust when we were idling, everything seemed normal and the engine ran fine."

"As Your engine was designed t

"As Your engine was designed to run of a mix of air and fuel and not exhaust and fuel, it might be an idea to have it fixed as soon as possible."

"There is a gasket between the

"There is a gasket between the cover and the manifold. Volvo wants USD$9.08 for it. Can't I just make one myself? If so, what kind of material should it be?"

"As someone who has made one t

"As someone who has made one too many gaskets, I'd say...buy it. The ONLY times I've made gaskets is if there is no other option and I need whatever needs the gasket running, NOW.
I always replace the home brew gasket with "the real thing" ASAP. It's not a good thing to save <$10 on."

"Robert, thanks...you're r

"Robert, thanks...you're right...for $10 it's not worth taking a chance on."

"Rec'd the new cover (

"Rec'd the new cover (15) and gasket (16), now time to install. Do I use gasket sealant, and if so, what kind (Permatex Ultra Copper?) and on what surface(s) do I apply it? If yes to gasket sealant, should I wait before going boating and if so, how long? Thanks!

219233.jpg
Cover

Back