Logo

1996 Evinrude Tach problem

steve_mills

I have the original system moi

I have the original system moinitor gauge and it will read properly up until 1500 rpm's and then drop to zero. It will occassionaly come on while running and will show the proper rpm but then drops back to zero after a few minutes. I have checked all wiring and everything looks fine. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks

Steve

"this is prob a bad reg/rectif

"this is prob a bad reg/rectifier.Prob should be verified at eng,when this occurs,to exclude the tach."

"You may use a multimeter to c

"You may use a multimeter to check.
In the wire harness under the instrument panel there should be a separate Gray cable (end insulated).
Attach Your multimeter on Hz or AC setting to the Gray (red) and ground (Black) and watch the readings. If the multimeter readings are 'constant' while instrument 'jumps' the instrument is faulty. If Instrument and multimeter reacts at same time, most likely regulator."

"Thanks guys,

I used a mult

"Thanks guys,

I used a multimeter as you described and the reading on it was constant with a slight increase when I revved it up. The tach dropped to zero at the same time so I guess that means the gauge is faulty. Thanks for the help.

Steve"

Back