Logo

JOHNSON IGNITION SWITCH

"I have a 1979,35HP,electric s

"I have a 1979,35HP,electric start,cd-2 ignition,MODEL NO.#35E79A outboard.

I had a ignition switch that you turn the key and push it in to electronically choke your outboard.

On the back of the switch ,YOU HAVE CONNECTION POSTS FOR THE CHOKE PURPLE&WHITE WIRE,A=ACESSORIES,S=SELANOID YELLOW&RED WIRE,M=GROUND BLACK WIRE,M=GROUND BLACK&YELLOW WIRE,B=BATTERY RED&PURPLE WIRE.

I bought a universal ignition switch at auto zone that does not have a choke or selanoid connection post.It has a battery post,ignition post,acessories post,and a post with no name.What post do I connect the selanoid wire(yellow & red),the choke wire(purple&white) too?Does the battery wire red&purple still connect to the battery post?

The two ground wires black and black & yellow connect to the post with no name?

The switch I bought wont work on outboards?

I dont want to short out my power pack so any imput would be greatly appreciated,thanx the STURGEON GENERAL.
"

"If your new switch doesn'

"If your new switch doesn't have the push to choke feature, you can't connect the choke feature. You may have bigger problems. Automotive switches are not the same as outboard switches. Outboards use magneto ignition. The ignition connection on an outboard's ignition switch is shorted to ground when off, and open connection when on. On an auto switch, the ignition terminal gets 12 volts when on, 0 volts when off. If you have the wrong switch and send 12 volts back to your engine, I believe you will do all sorts of damage."

i have a 35 super sea hoarse j

i have a 35 super sea hoarse johnson i bought a starter switch from shucks auto supplie i figured out the bat and starter wire to start boats and it works fine my electric choke is manual push button on differnt wiresoff the batt wires i cant find the kill wires to kill engine were do they start from and were should i hook em up.

You probably do not have the f

You probably do not have the function needed in that switch. Either by a safety switch and connect with the black/yellow and black or a simple push button. You need to ground the black/yellow from the power pack to stop.

Back