Logo

Powerpack wiring issue

blue_streak

Contributing Member
"1990 Evinrude 175XP VE175SLES

"1990 Evinrude 175XP VE175SLESE

bought a new PP (Sierra 18-5885) and installed it. discovered that it only has 3 silver sleeves in the 5 prong connector and the one that it connects to has all 5 pins. talked to Sierra tech yesterday and he said it should have all 5 sleeves. called company i bought it from and they said they talked to sierra and it should only have 3.

went to the boat and found that the 2 black/yellow wires and the white/black stripe are the 3 that have sleeves. the tan and yellow/red are the 2 that don't have sleeves. could this be the cause for my no fire condition?

anyone who has any info on this part or info on the wiring of this part, it would be greatly appreciated to have before i send this one back or buy another one."

"is it working properly?...
y

"is it working properly?...
your best source,for info on this is SIERRA,,as u have had communications with..."

"plug it in and try it...
how

"plug it in and try it...
how are u going to verify,your HS timing,..after this PP change??...anytime a pack is changed,along w/sev other components,for LONGEVITY,by the book,.is to verify HS timing,..it is NOT a plug and play item!!
having said that,..3 out of ten,need adjustments.u dont want to be in that 3 that the timing was off...DO YOU?"

"tried it already. replaced ba

"tried it already. replaced battery, stator (goo was present on old one), reg/rect (battery not charging) and PP. started up on third crank. ran well for 15 minutes till I shut it off. came back 2 days later and no fire anywhere?

just concerned that the yellow/red wire going to solenoid is not connected in the PP."

done that already and still no

done that already and still no spark.

any other suggestions? any reply to concern about yellow/red wire to solenoid and tan wire not having sleeves in PP connector?

"dont talk to company u bought

"dont talk to company u bought it from,they just sell it,...contact sierra,and deal w/them..thru,..your associate."

"back to one of your statement

"back to one of your statements,..yell/red MUST be conected to crank,.it is also,the feed for the activation of quick-start."

sorry for any confusion.

by

sorry for any confusion.

by sleeves i mean the female side connector has little silver terminals that the pins on the male side slide into and make a connection.

Back