Logo

1989 Force 125hp exhaust smoke

M

MWhitman

I recently purchased a boat th

I recently purchased a boat that has a 89 force 125hp 2 stroke ... first time i took it out had thick smoke coming out of the exhaust only at idle or low rpms. changed the spark plugs put a new fuel filter and still very thick smoke coming out at low rpms. any suggestions? Im stumped.

"Yes, I would suspect 1) o

"Yes, I would suspect 1) old fuel 2) too much oil in the mix or even 3) motor had been stored - fogging in the cylinders.

New gas, 50:1 with a quality TCW-3 rated marine oil and take her out for a good run - clean all the cooties out and see if she still smokes.

Smoking on a 2 stroke is not indicative of a problem the way it is on a 4 stroke.....

If a 4 stroke smokes you have a problem, if a two stroke smokes you usually have too much oil in the gas...."

Hey ya that was one of the fir

Hey ya that was one of the first things I did when I got the boat put new fresh fuel in it with a 50:1 fuel oil ratio with the manufactures recomended Quicksilver 2 stroke marine oil... still smoking heavily

"How is the idle - smooth? any

"How is the idle - smooth? any hitches/hiccups sneezes etc? or is it fine, just alot of smoke?"

"the idle runs smooth once its

"the idle runs smooth once its up to running temp, when its cold and you shift into nutruel or reverse it dies."

"Ok, that sounds like a jet is

"Ok, that sounds like a jet issue (low speed) in the carbs. Could simply be an adjustment but this motor is pushing 20 years old and removal/disassembly/cleaning and at least gasket kits if not rebuild kits would probably be in order...."

darn someone told me that and

darn someone told me that and I was hoping it wouldnt be that o well... thanks for the help...

Back