Logo

Long shaft motor on a short shaft boat

"depends on what you are doing

"depends on what you are doing with the boat. A slow evening putt,putt no problem.You want to fast then you have 5" too much motor below the boat which means lots of drag / spray and a bigger chance to hit something."

Building up the transom? Depen

Building up the transom? Depends on your boat layout. Should not be a problem for a skilled glass-man.

"I can build up the transom no

"I can build up the transom no problem. I was just offered a running motor, thats better than my non running motor that looks like I would have to sink a fortune into just to get running. Can I build it up with out tearing out the one thats in there now? I'm going to go take some pics. I'll be back. MIKE"

I am in the same situation as

I am in the same situation as you are with a 2005 optimax 115. Have you considered using a jackplate? I am also looking into the cost of converting the motor from 25" to 20".

"The jackplate is alot cheaper

"The jackplate is alot cheaper than converting the motor - you are looking at replacing the exhaust housing, driveshaft, shift shaft, water tube and possibly the swivel bracket - major bucks.

You can go from short to long, or long to extra long for about 700 dollars, going back the other way could run you 3 times that much unless you can scrounge some used parts...."

"I put 30" shaft optimax m

"I put 30" shaft optimax motors on my robalo. It originally had 25" motors. I put the new one's on cmc jackplates and adjusted them that way. I found it brought my power heads further out of harms way, and it performs great. Bought the jackplates from bass pro shaops for around 250 each, 300 for a forklift rental, sealer and hardware probably put the job total around a grand. Thi was by far the most reaonable option for me."

"Here's the pics. This is

"Here's the pics. This is the short shaft motor I'm going to pull off. Now will I be able to put plates on and be able to use a long shaft motor? Thanks, MIKE
217911.jpg
boat

"Here's a Hi-Jacker that A

"Here's a Hi-Jacker that Andrew sells for under 150 bucks - check out the section to the right under "Prop/Trim/Transom" then "jackplates and wedges".

For under 150 bucks, sure beats the cost of altering the motor. If you want to go fancier, you can still do it for half the cost of turning the motor into a short shaft...

217916.jpg
"

that boat doesn't look up

that boat doesn't look up to taking the load of a long shaft on a jack plate. It might work for a little while but I think your engine will soon be an anchor

Back