Logo

Unleaded fuel

william0064

"Hi i have a volvo aq115 1974

"Hi i have a volvo aq115 1974 vintage it has just occured to me this was way before unleaded petrol was introduced did these engines reguire new valve seats to run unleaded and if so is there any way to tell without removing the head?The boat had not been used for 15 years prior to me obtaining it 2 years ago, I have used it for about 30 hrs in that time would that be long enough to burn out the seats??"

"Hi any feedback on this quest

"Hi any feedback on this question would be greatfully recived,this is a great forum btw i have learned lots from reading through the threads keep up the good work !!"

"Not likely as the common wisd

"Not likely as the common wisdom is that once an engine has run some substantial number of hours (don't ask me how many) that the valve and seats are "coated" enough to run without leaded gas thereafter. Personally, I've never tested that and for the two seasons that I had an old pre unleaded engine, I used the additive. The litmus test for burned valves is to check the compression on the engine. If all OK valves most likely not burnt. The big thing to look for is all cylinders close one another in value."

Back