Logo

454 Crusader will turn over but not start

skimmer27

"We have a crusader 454 that t

"We have a crusader 454 that turns over but will not start. The engine has a HEI ingnition system. The engine sat over the winter and when we went to start it the Carb was not functioning correctly so we replaced the Quadrajet with a Holley.
Then we went to start it again and it just turns over we checked the spark and found it to be intermitant, sometime is sparks adn when it does it almost starts, then other times we get nothing.
We replaced the Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, pick up coil, ingnition module, and coil and we still have intermittant spark.
The only thing yet to be replaced is the rotor, but it has been cleaned and appears to be in good shape.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at next. Could it be the starting solenoid, low oil pressure switch??
Please help"

"Prior to changing anything &#

"Prior to changing anything (too late now)I would check the voltage while cranking. A weak battery, a bad cable or a bad connection will not provide enough voltage when cranking to properly power the ignition system.

You haven't provided enough information about the engine to properly diagnose the engine, but this problem is universal.

Good luck,
Rick"

"Hi,
Sorry let me give you so

"Hi,
Sorry let me give you some more information.

We also did replace the batteries.

The engine is a 1980 crusader 454 350hp LH, that was rebuilt 6 years ago and has 476 hours on it. 2 years ago an electric fuel pump was put on the boat. The Ingnition system was changed at the time of the rebuild it was purchased from crusader it is an Delco/GM HEI electronic ingnition system. Anything else you need to know to help please ask.

Dustin"

"Something funny is going on w

"Something funny is going on with that ignition system. I suspect you have a bad connection, possibly a bad ground, somewhere.

Those electrical problems are soooo frutrating!

Jeff"

"A couple of weeks ago, my gre

"A couple of weeks ago, my great running starboard 454 CID refused to start. Pulled spark wire to find no spark. I replaced the module in the ignition system and it fired right up. I had a spare on board so I have not had the old module checked. I expect I am going to find that it is ok and that by replacing it I resolved a loose connection problem.

There are two electrical connections inside the distributor that could be loose or corroded. Since you have intermittent fire, it may be a bad connection.

Chuck Hanson"

"Hi Chuck, I would think you a

"Hi Chuck, I would think you are talking about that thin black 2 plug module under the distributor cap? Is there a way to test them to see that they are within specs?"

Back