Logo

Carb Cleaner

optsyeagle

Regular Contributor
"I need to clean my carb again

"I need to clean my carb again after just rebuiding it with a new kit not all that long ago. My question is, since I do not want to rebuild it again completely, will spraying carb cleaner into the jets have any negative effect on those plastic little seats that sit inside the slow speed jet. Would seafoam work better? The only way I know to remove them is to use a 3 inch #8 deck screw that basically destroys them.
Motor is a 1975 9.9Hp Evinrude."

There is something wrong here.

There is something wrong here.You do not need to remove those " seats " as you call them.The usual culprit is the highspeed jet / orifice that is plugged.What is the motor doing / not doing that makes you suspect carburetor trouble???

"The motor is getting harder t

"The motor is getting harder to start and then tends to pop and stall shortly thereafter. Once warmed up, it starts and runs fine and I have had no problem at high speeds."

I guess the question I have is

I guess the question I have is that I have heard that carb cleaner can be hard on plastics and those needle valve seats (little funnel looking things) appear to be made out of some form of plastic. Will carb cleaner harm those little seats and if so would something like seafoam be better to clean them?

"Yes, carb cleaner is absolute

"Yes, carb cleaner is absolutely hard on plastics and nylon, and destroying those small needle valve bearings is the only way to remove them that I'm aware of.

Is it possible that the slow speed needle valve is out of adjustment? If so.......

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

If you have a problem obtaining those small nylon bearings, click on my name and email me."

Thanks Joe. I am pretty sure

Thanks Joe. I am pretty sure the valve is adjusted to the correct position as per your procedure.

I thought I might just spray out the slow speed jet again with a cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air again to see if it helps.

Would you or anyone else know if Seafoam would be better on those needle valve bearings?

Back