Logo

Suzuki DT 55 2 cylinder commercial what is it

andrewbarker

"Hi
I'm new to this forum

"Hi
I'm new to this forum and I'd really appreciate some help.

I'm in the UK and I've just bought an outboard described as a "DT55 commercial".

The trouble is that there's almost no support available for Suzuki 2 strokes in the UK. The main agent, Suzuki GB, doesn't even know that there has ever been a Suzuki 55 2 cylinder o/b made.

I need to identify the engine for service & parts. At the very least, I need to know info on service items like impellers or pump kits and basic carb settings as I bought the engine on the back of a boat and I have no service records for the engine. It would also be nice to know if these engines are any good - the strong and weak points - to anticipate trouble. It would also be nice to know what the correct description of the engine is. Is there a "commercial" designation?

The engine serial no prefix is 05502. It's a manual start with no trim/tilt. The hood says DT55 although that may or may not be original. The leg is white. The top cylinder (of two) has M13 stamped on it.

Is there anyone there who can help me out with info/data on this? Anything would be gratefully received.

Andrew
[email protected]"

"They do make 55hp 2-strokes a

"They do make 55hp 2-strokes and the manual will have the relevant info, look on Amazon for one.

If its white it could be quite old (up to 1984)but the commercial designation may change all that....probably just means it is "working" specification...for fisherman and the like rather than recreational use...I am not 100% on this.

Suzuki OB's tend to be as reliable as you can get with their weak point being corrosion and commercial may mean it has extra anti corrosion protection as it may be designed to cope with less flushing out after use than a recreational boatie may give it."

"Thanks Andy. Problem is I st

"Thanks Andy. Problem is I still don't know even what manual to get. This is a 2 cylinder engine, not a 3 and I don't know whether they are covered in any of the books."

"The Manuals by Clymer or Selo

"The Manuals by Clymer or Seloc cover all Suzuki Outboards....they are very thick!! But have all the info you need. Just check before buying that it says "Covers all outboards 2hp-225hp"....or whatever the range is, it will cover them from 1 - 6 cylinders....I sold mine recently (gone to OMC) so can't send it to you I'm afraid.

50/55hp Suzuki's are 2-cylinder and the manual does cover them all"

"OK - thanks for the help. I&

"OK - thanks for the help. I'll get on to the manual. I did hear somewhere that these DT 55 2 cylinder engines were actually 65 hp derated. It's a pig to pull over, I do know!

Andrew"

Back