Logo

Oil pressure and a blown head gasket

srdancer90

Regular Contributor
"The other day I was on my bro

"The other day I was on my brothers boat 1986 23 sea ray with a 5.7. We noticed that the engine ran to 240, we shut the engine down waited and started it and got back to the dock running at 1200-1500 rpm. Today when working on it it was difficult starting acted as if there was a hydrolock condition,after we started it it ran 140-145 then jumped to 160 -180 at an idle, I also noticed steam rising from the flame arister and when we pulled the dip stick we saw water in the oil.The risers were extreemly hot to touch, the thermostat housing was cool to the touch. Oil pressure was at 40psi at an idle engine ran smooth. However when we tried another sea trial the engine would not remain running when placed in gear.Billowing steam exited from the exhaust which I could see rising out of the water. Here is the question, can you have a blown head gasket and still have 40 psi at the gauge? will a blown head gasket cause the risers to be extreemly hot?"

"Yes to oil pressure. Gasket

"Yes to oil pressure. Gasket can be blown between cylinder and a water passage.

Yes to hot riser. The hot exhaust not only heats the metal, but can inhibit cooling water flow."

"Ayuh,...

It sounds like yo

"Ayuh,...

It sounds like you've got a Whole Lotta Issues going on,..

Change out the Impeller to fix the lack of Water problem,...

Then diagnose what's the problem with the runability....

It wouldn't surprize me to hear you've destroyed a Bunch of parts by running it with a Bad Impeller...
If it's Just a headgasket,... You're Lucky,...
You probably otta check out All the Rubber parts in the Exhaust system,....
I bet they're Burnt...."

"The mechanic droped by today

"The mechanic droped by today did a compression check and two(2) cylinders on the starboard side had low compresion. 80 psi, so the head is gone. Now heres the next question, can you replace a marine head with an automotive head. The people who sell automotive heads say yes, the people who sell marine heads say no.The reason they give is that a automotive engine does not labor as hard as a marine engine. What is the verdict?"

"Ayuh,....

The castings are

"Ayuh,....

The castings are the Same,+ the hardware is standard production stuff.....
Nothing Marine about'em...

If you're willing to buy a new matching intake manifold,...

You can gain a free 25hp by getting a set of Chevy, Vortec Heads,...
They're standard on Chevy truck 350s producued starting 1996..."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
uhoh.gif
crazy.gif
"

Back