Logo

Duoprop type A props and a 74 gas engine

sobie2

I have a 27' Uniflite with

I have a 27' Uniflite with a 454 engine mated to a 1.95 ratio duoprop outdrive.

The boat does plane out and tops out at 35mph with a set of B5 props. The engine's top range is supposed to be 4400 to 4600 with this prop it can rev to 4800 rpm.

The problem is that the engine must rev to 3800 rpms to plane out and must maintain 3600 rpms to stay on plane. 3800 rpms is where the 4 barrels kick in. Similar Uniflites plane out at 2800 rpms and cruise around 3000 rpms.

The Type B props volvo says are for gas engines and are a 3 and 3 prop configuration.

The type A props volvo says are for diesel engines and are of larger diameter than the type Bs and have a 3 blade prop in the front and a 4 blade in the back prop.

I am looking to maintain planing speeds at lower rpms for fuel economy and hoping a change to the Type As will work but I don't know if other people are running the type A props with gas engines or have similar situations.

I'd go try the B prop but it is only an increase in pitch and the boat is big and could benefit from the larger diamter props and extra blade.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hate to answer my own question

Hate to answer my own question but...
The A5 props still took me to 35 mph but at 100 less rpm.

The good news is that the boat was more linear at getting up on step and appears to be a better prop than the B5. I am ordering an A6 to see if that will be even better still.

"This boat has big trim tabs.

"This boat has big trim tabs. The boat weighs 8,000 lbs. The Volvo A props while for diesels was a great match to for the boat engine drive combination. I am now looking at the A6 prop set to see if I can still reach the rated max rpm."

Back